Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by Non-Financial Firms: Evidence from Greece
This paper presents evidence on the use of derivative contracts in the risk management process of Greek non-financial firms. The survey was conducted by sending a questionnaire to 110 non-financial firms and its results are compared with the findings of previous surveys: 33.9% of non-financial firms in Greece use derivatives, mainly to hedge their exposure to interest rate risk. The major source of concern for derivatives users is the accounting treatment of the contracts and the disclosure requirement. Non-financial firms in Greece use sophisticated methods of risk assessment and report having a documented corporate policy with respect to the use of derivatives, while at the same time consider the domestic economic environment not to be favorable of derivatives usage. Firms that chose not to use derivatives responded that they do so mainly because of insufficient exposure to risks.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sohnke M. Bartram, 2001.
"Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation,"
0108002, EconWPA, revised 10 Aug 2001.
- Bartram, S.M., 2000. "Corporate Risk Management as a Lever for Shareholder Value Creation," Papers 00-58, Southern California - School of Business Administration.
- Guay, Wayne R., 1999. "The impact of derivatives on firm risk: An empirical examination of new derivative users1," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 319-351, January.
- Sohnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2003.
"International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage,"
0307003, EconWPA, revised 24 Jul 2003.
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2009. "International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 185-206, 03.
- Hoa Nguyen & Robert Faff, 2003. "Further Evidence on the Corporate Use of Derivatives in Australia: The Case of Foreign Currency and Interest Rate Instruments," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 28(3), pages 307-317, December.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gebhardt, Günther, 1998.
"Derivatives usage in risk management by U.S. and German non-financial firms: A comparative survey,"
CFS Working Paper Series
1998/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Bodnar, G.M. & Gebhart, G., 1998. "Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by US and German Non-Financial Firms: A Comparative Survey," Weiss Center Working Papers 98-03, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Gunther Gebhardt, 1998. "Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by US and German Non-Financial Firms: A Comparative Survey," NBER Working Papers 6705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-284, March.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Gregory S. Hayt & Richard C. Marston, 1998. "1998 Wharton Survey of Financial Risk Management by US Non-Financial Firms," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 27(4), Winter.
- Mian, Shehzad L., 1996. "Evidence on Corporate Hedging Policy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 419-439, September.
- Gregory W. Brown & Peter R. Crabb & David Haushalter, 2006. "Are Firms Successful at Selective Hedging?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 2925-2950, November.
- Peter Tufano, 1998. "Agency Costs of Corporate Risk Management," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 27(1), Spring.
- Oosterhof, Casper M., 2001. "Corporate risk management: an overview," Research Report 01E06, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-1354, September.
- Guay, Wayne & Kothari, S. P, 2003. "How much do firms hedge with derivatives?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 423-461, December.
- Joseph, Nathan Lael & Hewins, Robin David, 1997. "The Motives for Corporate Hedging among UK Multinationals," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 151-171, April.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:01e06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Henk Berkman & Michael E. Bradbury, 1996. "Empirical Evidence on the Corporate Use of Derivatives," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(2), Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10945. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.