Italian nonfinancial firms and derivatives
This paper studies the characteristics of the Italian nonfinancial firms using derivatives and the purpose of the derivatives use according to the most important literature in financial risk management. By using the Italian credit register and balance sheet data this study extends for the first time the derivatives analysis to small and medium firms. The paper finds that derivatives are used frequently among nonfinancial firms. Firms using derivatives are the most exposed to financial risks and have different economic and financial characteristics with respect to non-using ones. By examining some financial risk indicators the analysis finds a relation between high derivative exposure and financial distress. In the use of derivatives bank-firm relationship is more concentrated than in the loan relationship.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-1354, September.
- John R. Graham & Daniel A. Rogers, 2002. "Do Firms Hedge in Response to Tax Incentives?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 815-839, 04.
- Mian, Shehzad L., 1996. "Evidence on Corporate Hedging Policy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 419-439, September.
- Vickery, James, 2008. "How and why do small firms manage interest rate risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 446-470, February.
- Guay, Wayne & Kothari, S. P, 2003. "How much do firms hedge with derivatives?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 423-461, December.
- Rene M. Stulz, 2004.
"Should We Fear Derivatives?,"
NBER Working Papers
10574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianluca Bison & Loriana Pellizzon & Domenico Sartore, 2002. "La copertura dei rischi finanziari nelle imprese non finanziarie italiane attraverso gli strumenti derivati," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 55(217), pages 55-75.
- Guay, Wayne R., 1999. "The impact of derivatives on firm risk: An empirical examination of new derivative users1," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 319-351, January.
- René M. Stulz, 1996. "Rethinking Risk Management," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 8-25.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Gregory S. Hayt & Richard C. Marston, 1998. "1998 Wharton Survey of Financial Risk Management by US Non-Financial Firms," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 27(4), Winter.
- Amrit Judge, 2006. "Why and How UK Firms Hedge," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(3), pages 407-441.
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2009.
"International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 185-206, 03.
- Sohnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2003. "International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage," Finance 0307003, EconWPA, revised 24 Jul 2003.
- Smith, Clifford W. & Stulz, René M., 1985. "The Determinants of Firms' Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 391-405, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_139_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.