Welfare effects of cross-ownership in a unionised duopoly
The present study analyses the effects of an increase in the share of crossownership in a Cournot duopoly with firm-specific monopolistic unions. Since the cross-participation at ownership level implies a lower degree of competition, then in a duopoly without unions, as expected, consumer surplus and social welfare, despite the increase in the industry profits, reduces when cross-participation increases. By contrast, when the labour market is unionised, we show the counterintuitive result, that despite the degree of competition is reduced by cross-ownership, both consumer surplus and social welfare increase with the share of cross-participation. This always occurs provided that unions are sufficiently wage-oriented. Therefore, the policy implication is that, when wage-interested unions are in existence in oligopoly industries, a rise in cross-participation – i.e., a lower degree of competition – is socially preferred. Moreover, all agents (firm’s owner, workers and consumers) agree for the highest possible level of cross-participation.
|Date of creation:||09 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 050 22 16 466
Fax: +39 050 22 16 384
Web page: http://www.ec.unipi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Olaizola Ortega, María Norma, 2004.
"Cost-Saving production technologies and strategic delegation,"
2004-12, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Juan Carlos B�Rcena-Ruiz & Norma Olaizola, 2006. "Cost-Saving Production Technologies And Strategic Delegation ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 141-157, 06.
- Alley, Wilson A, 1997. "Partial Ownership Arrangements and Collusion in the Automobile Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 191-205, June.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2011.
"The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential in a differentiated duopoly with unions and labour decreasing returns,"
AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 233-244.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2010. "The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential in a differentiated duopoly with unions and labour decreasing returns," Discussion Papers 2010/107, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2010. "The Cournot-Bertrand Profit Differential in a Differentiated Duopoly with Unions and Labour Decreasing Returns," Working Paper Series 36_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Eirik S. Amundsen & Lars Bergman, 2002. "Will Cross-Ownership Re-Establish Market Power in the Nordic Power Market?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 73-95.
- Naylor, Robin, 1999.
"Union Wage Strategies and International Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 102-25, January.
- Naylor, Robin, 1997. "Union Wage Strategies and International Trade," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 480, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Petrakis, Emmanuel & Vlassis, Minas, 2000. "Endogenous scope of bargaining in a union-oligopoly model: when will firms and unions bargain over employment?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 261-281, May.
- Philip M. Parker & Lars-Hendrik Roller, 1997. "Collusive Conduct in Duopolies: Multimarket Contact and Cross-Ownership in the Mobile Telephone Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 304-322, Summer.
- Rupayan Pal, 2012.
"How much should you own? Cross-ownership and privatization,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2012-008, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rupayan Pal, 2010. "How much should you own? Cross-ownership and privatization," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2010-015, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Mezzetti, C. & Dinopoulos, E., 1989.
"Domestic Unionization And Import Competition,"
337, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Dietzenbacher, Erik & Smid, Bert & Volkerink, Bjorn, 2000. "Horizontal integration in the Dutch financial sector," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 1223-1242, December.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2011. "A Note on Trade Unions, Unemployment Insurance, and Endogenous Growth," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 270-280.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2007:i:6:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Campo Corredera, María Luz, 2011.
"Partial cross-ownership and strategic environmental policy,"
2011-47, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Bárcena-Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Campo, María Luz, 2012. "Partial cross-ownership and strategic environmental policy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 198-210.
- Dowrick, Steve & Spencer, Barbara J, 1994. "Union Attitudes to Labor-Saving Innovation: When Are Unions Luddites?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(2), pages 316-44, April.
- Pencavel, John H, 1984.
"The Tradeoff between Wages and Employment in Trade Union Objectives,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 99(2), pages 215-31, May.
- John H. Pencavel, 1982. "The Trade-Off between Wages and Employment in Trade Union Objectives," NBER Working Papers 0870, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trivieri, Francesco, 2007. "Does cross-ownership affect competition?: Evidence from the Italian banking industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 79-101, February.
- Reitman, David, 1994. "Partial Ownership Arrangements and the Potential for Collusion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 313-22, September.
- Macho, I. & Verdier, T., 1989.
"Strategic Managerial Incentives and Cross Ownership Structure: A Note,"
DELTA Working Papers
89-02, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Inés Macho-Stadler & Thierry Verdier, 1991. "Strategic managerial incentives and cross ownership structure: A note," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 285-297, October.
- Pencavel, John, 1985. " Wages and Employment under Trade Unionism: Microeconomic Models and Macroeconomic Applications," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 197-225.
- David Gilo & Yossi Moshe & Yossi Spiegel, 2006. "Partial cross ownership and tacit collusion," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(1), pages 81-99, 03.
- Juan Carlos Barcena-Ruiz & Norma Olaizola, 2007. "Cost-saving production technologies and partial ownership," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(6), pages 1-8.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pie:dsedps:2011/125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.