How Much Should You Own? Cross-ownership and Privatization
This paper examines the interdependence of cross-ownership and level of privatization in case of differentiated products mixed duopoly. It shows that it is optimal for the private firm not to own any (own the entire) portion of the privatized share of its rival firm, if the level of privatization is very low (very high). In equilibrium, the government makes sure that cross-ownership is not attracted. However, in most of the situations, the possibility of cross-ownership adversely affects the prospect of privatization. Results of this paper have strong implications to antitrust regulations and divestment policies. [Working paper No. 2010-015].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inés Macho-Stadler & Thierry Verdier, 1991.
"Strategic managerial incentives and cross ownership structure: A note,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 285-297, October.
- Macho, I. & Verdier, T., 1989. "Strategic Managerial Incentives and Cross Ownership Structure: A Note," DELTA Working Papers 89-02, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Bibhas Saha, 2009. "Mixed ownership in a mixed duopoly with differentiated products," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 25-43, September.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Kumar, Ashutosh & Saha, Bibhas, 2008. "Spatial competition in a mixed duopoly with one partially nationalized firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 326-341, June.
- Alley, Wilson A, 1997. "Partial Ownership Arrangements and Collusion in the Automobile Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 191-205, June.
- Maw, James, 2002. "Partial privatization in transition economies," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-282, September.
- Fershtman, Chaim, 1990. "The Interdependence between Ownership Status and Market Structure: The Case of Privatization," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(227), pages 319-28, August.
- Dietzenbacher, Erik & Smid, Bert & Volkerink, Bjorn, 2000. "Horizontal integration in the Dutch financial sector," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 1223-1242, December.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Jenifer Piesse, 2006.
"Does lending behaviour of banks in emerging economies vary by ownership? Evidence from the Indian banking sector,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
06-01, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Piesse, Jenifer, 2008. "Does lending behaviour of banks in emerging economies vary by ownership? Evidence from the Indian banking sector," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 177-196, June.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Kester, W Carl, 1992. "Industrial Groups as Systems of Contractual Governance," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 24-44, Autumn.
- Reynolds, Robert J. & Snapp, Bruce R., 1986. "The competitive effects of partial equity interests and joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 141-153, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.