Innovations and Labour Market Institutions: An Empirical Analysis of the Italian Case in the middle 90’s
In this paper a dynamic panel data specification is used to assess the relationship between labour market flexibility and innovation activities by distinguishing different technological regimes of activities and geographical areas of the Italian economy. In order to estimate the previous relationship, regional patents are included as a proxy of the innovation, while job turnover and wages represent labour market indicators. The results show that higher job turnover has a significant and negative impact on patent activities only in regional sectors of Northern Italy, while a positive and significant impact of blue and white collar wages has been generally found.
|Date of creation:||10 Jun 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Pascoli, 20 - 06123 Perugia|
Phone: +39 075 5855279
Fax: +39 075 5855299
Web page: http://www.econ.unipg.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1997.
"Technology, unemployment and efficiency,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 525-533, April.
- Acemoglu, D, 1996. "Technology, Unemployment and Efficiency," Working papers 96-26, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mortensen, Dale & Pissarides, Christopher, 2011. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 1-19.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boeri, Tito, 1996. "Is Job Turnover Countercyclical?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(4), pages 603-625, October.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2005. "Models of knowledge and systems of governance," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 51-73, June.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2005. "Models Of Knowledge And Systems Of Governance," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200501, University of Turin.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- George E. Johnson, 1997. "Changes in Earnings Inequality: The Role of Demand Shifts," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 41-54, Spring.
- Andrea Bassanini & Ekkehard Ernst, 2002. "Labour Market Institutions, Product Market Regulation, and Innovation: Cross-Country Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 316, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Ekkehard Ernst, 2006. "Labour market institutions, product market regulation and innovation: Cross-country evidence," Post-Print halshs-00120608, HAL.
- Jonathan Michie & Maura Sheehan, 2003. "Labour market deregulation, 'flexibility' and innovation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 123-143, January.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1997. "Technological Regimes and Sectoral Patterns of Innovative Activities," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 83-117.
- Paci Raffaele & Usai Stefano, 2000. "The Role of Specialisation and Diversity Externalities in the Agglomeration of Innovative Activities," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 237-268.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 1999. "The role of specialisation and diversity externalities in the agglomeration of innovative activities," Working Paper CRENoS 199915, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Luca Pieroni & Fabrizio Pompei, 2006. "Localizzazione geografica delle innovazioni e mercato del lavoro," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 96(2), pages 277-328, March-Apr.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1996. "Schumpeterian patterns of innovation are technology-specific," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 451-478, May.
- Amin, Ash & Wilkinson, Frank, 1999. "Learning, Proximity and Industrial Performance: An Introduction," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 121-125, March.
- Daron Acemoglu, 1997. "Training and Innovation in an Imperfect Labour Market," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 445-464.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Stadler, Manfred, 1994. "Success Breeds Success. The Dynamics of the Innovation Process," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 55-68.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Stadler, Manfred, 1994. "Success breeds success. The dynamics of the innovation process," Munich Reprints in Economics 20366, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1985. "Labor Turnover, Wage Structures, and Moral Hazard: The Inefficiency of Competitive Markets," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 434-462, October.
- Kitson, Michael & Martin, Ron & Wilkinson, Frank, 2000. "Labour Markets, Social Justice and Economic Efficiency," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(6), pages 631-641, November.
- Bound, John & Johnson, George, 1992. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the 1980's: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 371-392, June.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)