Property Markets and Policies in an Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model
This paper presents a theoretical simulation model to examine the interaction between property markets and the rest of the economy. The model is a rational expectation, intertemporal general equilibrium model, with multiple sectors and real estate markets. The model emphasizes the interdependence between sectors as well as the government’s role in the property markets. It is demonstrated that a resource boom in a durable nontradable sector can improve the current account balance of the home economy in the short run. Secondly, when there is production interdependency between sectors, resource booms in one sector does not necessarily cause contraction in other sectors.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1998|
|Date of revision:||Jan 1999|
|Note:||Length (pages): 36 pages|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio Rebelo, 1997.
"What Happens When Countries Peg Their Exchange Rates? (The Real Side of Monetary Reforms),"
NBER Working Papers
6168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rebelo, Sérgio, 1997. "What Happens When Countries Peg Their Exchange Rates? (The Real Side of Monetary Reforms)," CEPR Discussion Papers 1692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1983. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1169-1185, July.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear RationalExpectations Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 564, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oskar R. Harmon & Michael J. Potepan, 1988. "Housing Adjustment Costs: Their Impact on Mobility and Housing Demand Elasticities," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 459-478.
- Okumura, Tsunao, 1997. "Housing Investment and Residential Land Supply in Japan: An Asset Market Approach," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-54, March.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 1998. "The theoretical and empirical structure of the G-Cubed model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 123-148, January.
- W. J. McKibbin & P. J. Wilcoxen, "undated". "The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model," Discussion Papers 118, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- McKibbin, W.J. & Wilcoxen, P.J., 1995. "The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model," Papers 118, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- A. B. Treadway, 1969. "On Rational Entrepreneurial Behaviour and the Demand for Investment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 227-239.
- W. E. G. Salter, 1959. "Internal And External Balance: The Role Op Price And Expenditure Effects," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 35(71), pages 226-238, 08.
- Friedman, Joseph H. & Weinberg, Daniel H., 1982. "The Economics of Housing Vouchers," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780122683602.
- Warwick J. McKibbin, 1987. "Numerical Solution of Rational Expectations Models With and Without Strategic Behaviour," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp8706, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-848, December.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321-321. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:1999-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.