Testing for Monotonicity under Endogeneity An Application to the Reservation Wage Function
This paper develops a test for monotonicity of nonparametric regression models under endogeneity, which in its generality is novel in the literature. The test statistic, which is built upon a second order U-process, introduces 'correction terms' based on control functions that purge the endogeneity. The test has a non-standard asymptotic distribution from which asymptotic critical values can directly be derived. Furthermore, the test statistic is extended to accommodate multivariate (exogenous) regressors. Consistency against general alternatives is proved and the test's finite sample properties are examined in a Monte Carlo experiment. The test is used to formally assess the monotonicity of the reservation wage as a declining function of elapsed unemployment duration. This relationship is difficult to measure due to the simultaneity of both variables. Preliminary results indicate that reservation wage functions do in fact not decline monotonically.
|Date of creation:||18 Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Web page: http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Escanciano, Juan Carlos, 2012. "Distribution-free tests of stochastic monotonicity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 68-75.
- Sokbae Lee & Oliver Linton & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2008.
"Testing for stochastic monotonicity,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP21/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Sokbae Lee & Oliver Linton & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2006. "Testing For Stochasticmonotonicity," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 504, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Sokbae Lee & Oliver Linton & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2006. "Testing for stochastic monotonicity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4425, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Garen, John, 1984. "The Returns to Schooling: A Selectivity Bias Approach with a Continuous Choice Variable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1199-1218, September.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1985. "Simultaneous equations models in applied search theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 113-126, April.
- Jennifer C. Smith, 2011.
"The Ins and Outs of UK Unemployment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 402-444, 05.
- Smith, Jennifer, 2010. "The Ins and Outs of UK Unemployment," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 944, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M & Neumann, George R, 1979.
"An Empirical Job-Search Model, with a Test of the Constant Reservation-Wage Hypothesis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(1), pages 89-107, February.
- KIEFER, Nicholas M. & NEUMANN, George R., "undated". "An empirical job-search model, with a test of the constant reservation-wage hypothesis," CORE Discussion Papers RP 358, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2011.
"Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 1-36, February.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2007. "Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration," NBER Working Papers 13069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1998.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models,"
98-6, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1999. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 565-604, May.
- Whitney Newey & James Powell & Francis Vella, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Working papers 98-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Addison, John T. & Centeno, Mario & Portugal, Pedro, 2004.
"Reservation Wages, Search Duration, and Accepted Wages in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1252, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2004. "Reservation Wages, Search Duration, and Accepted Wages in Europe," Working Papers w200413, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Brown, Sarah & Taylor, Karl, 2009.
"Reservation Wages, Expected Wages and the Duration of Unemployment: Evidence from British Panel Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3981, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sarah Brown & Karl Taylor, "undated". "Reservation Wages, Expected wages and the duration of Unemployment: evidence from British Panel data," Working Papers 2009001, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Powell, James L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of censored selection models with a nonparametric selection mechanism," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 3-29, July.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-1057, September.
- Fermanian, Jean-David & Salani , Bernard, 2004. "A Nonparametric Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation Method," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 701-734, August.
- Gerard J. van den Berg, 1990.
"Nonstationarity in Job Search Theory,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 57(2), pages 255-277.
- Richard Blundell & Rosa Matzkin, 2010. "Conditions for the existence of control functions in nonseparable simultaneous equations models," CeMMAP working papers CWP28/10, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Durot, Cécile, 2003. "A Kolmogorov-type test for monotonicity of regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 425-433, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:wpaper:673. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Birds)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.