Fixed Effects Maximum Likelihood Estimation of a Flexibly Parametric Proportional Hazard Model with an Application to Job Exits
We extend the fixed effects maximum likelihood estimator to a proportional hazard model with a flexibly parametric baseline hazard. We use the method to estimate a job duration model for young men, and show that failure to account for unobserved fixed effect causes negative schooling and union effects to be downward biased.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2004.
"Semiparametric estimation of a panel data proportional hazards model with fixed effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 155-198, March.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2002. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Panel Data Proportional Hazards Model with Fixed Effects," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 A5-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2002. "Semiparametric estimation of a panel data proportional hazards model with fixed effects," CeMMAP working papers CWP21/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001.
"Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations,"
Handbook of Econometrics,
in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000. "Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations," MPRA Paper 9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ridder, G. & Tunali, I., 1997.
"Stratified Partial Likelihood Estimation,"
1997/17, Koc University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osu:osuewp:12-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Slaughter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.