Housing Affordability in New Zealand: Evidence from Household Surveys
Housing affordability has been a topic of much interest in New Zealand over recent years with the median house price increasing by over 50% between 2004 and 2008. The aim of this paper is to inform debate by drawing out evidence from two surveys: the Household Economic Survey (HES); and the Survey of Family, Income and Employment (SoFIE). In particular, the paper examines how patterns of house prices, expenditures, and home ownership have changed over time and across groups. A model which may be suggestive of whether or not an individual or couple is likely to find home-ownership affordable is also developed. This model incorporates information relating to four important influences of affordability: income; net wealth; house prices; and the structure of mortgage contracts (including the interest rate and mortgage term).
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denice DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1997.
"Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1815, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- DiPasquale, Denise & Glaeser, Edward L., 1999. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 354-384, March.
- Denise DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1998. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," NBER Working Papers 6363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trinh Le & John Gibson & Steven Stillman, 2012. "Wealth and saving in New Zealand: evidence from the longitudinal survey of family, income and employment," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(2), pages 93-118, November.
- repec:taf:regstd:v:46:y:2012:i:2:p:93-118 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stanley Fischer & Franco Modigliani, 1978.
"Towards An Understanding of the Real Effects and Costs of Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
0303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stanley Fischer & Franco Modigliani, 1978. "Towards an understanding of the real effects and costs of inflation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(4), pages 810-833, December.
- Grant Scobie & Trinh Le & John Gibson, 2007. "Housing in the Household Portfolio and Implications for Retirement Saving: Some Initial Finding from SOFIE," Treasury Working Paper Series 07/04, New Zealand Treasury.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzt:nztwps:13/14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.