Unemployment and the Immigration Surplus
Within a small open economy fair wage model with unemployment of unskilled workers, we show that exogenous unskilled immigration increases the welfare of natives if the elasticity of the inverse labour demands exceeds a positive finite threshold. This threshold depends positively on the displacement ratio of native workers by immigrants and negatively on the share of immigrants in the unskilled workforce.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 2002.
"Technological superiority and the losses from migration,"
0102-60, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 2002. "Technological Superiority and the Losses from Migration," NBER Working Papers 8971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael S. Michael, 2002.
"International Migration, Income Taxes and Transfers: A Welfare Analysis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
780, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael, Michael S., 2003. "International migration, income taxes and transfers: a welfare analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 401-411, October.
- Berry, R Albert & Soligo, Ronald, 1969. "Some Welfare Aspects of International Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(5), pages 778-94, Sept./Oct.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Wilhelm Kohler, 2004.
"Immigration and native welfare,"
Economics working papers
2004-01, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- George J. Borjas, 1994.
"The Economic Benefits from Immigration,"
NBER Working Papers
4955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Nelson, Douglas, 2006. "Fair wages, unemployment and technological change in a global economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 451-469, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notgep:08/31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.