An empirical analysis of cross-border labour mobility in the case of Estonia
The aim of this paper is to outline differences in the socio-demographic and employment characteristics of Estonian people who have worked in a neighbouring country – Finland, Sweden, Latvia or Russia. The empirical part of this paper relies on data from CV Keskus – an online employment portal bringing together jobseekers and vacant job posts. The results of our analysis show that different destination regions – the wealthier countries of Finland and Sweden (referred to as East-West mobility) and Latvia and Russia (referred to as East-East mobility) have attracted workers with different personal and job-related characteristics. Ethnicity and higher education are important determinants in explaining differences between East-West and East-East labour flows. Non-Estonians and people with a higher education have been less likely to work in Finland or Sweden.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Drayton House, 30 Gordon Street, London WC1H 0AX|
Phone: +44 (0)20 7679 5888
Fax: +44 (0)20 7916 2775
Web page: http://www.cream-migration.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Everett Lee, 1966. "A theory of migration," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 3(1), pages 47-57, March.
- Peter Huber, 2011. "Educational Attainment and Education-job Mismatch of Cross-border Commuters in the EU," WIFO Working Papers 388, WIFO.
- A. D. Roy, 1951. "Some Thoughts On The Distribution Of Earnings," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 135-146.
- Anzelika Zaiceva & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2008.
"Scale, diversity, and determinants of labour migration in Europe,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 24(3), pages 428-452, Autumn.
- Zaiceva, Anzelika & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2008. "Scale, Diversity, and Determinants of Labour Migration in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 3595, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zaiceva, Anzelika & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2008. "Scale, Diversity and Determinants of Labour Migration in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 6921, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giulietti, Corrado & Guzi, Martin & Kahanec, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2011.
"Unemployment Benefits and Immigration: Evidence from the EU,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6075, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Corrado Giulietti, 2013. "Unemployment benefits and immigration: evidence from the EU," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 24-38, March.
- Giulietti, Corrado & Guzi, Martin & Kahanec, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2011. "Unemployment Benefits and Immigration: Evidence from the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 8672, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kent Eliasson & Urban Lindgren & Olle Westerlund, 2003. "Geographical Labour Mobility: Migration or Commuting?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 827-837.
- George J. Borjas, 1998.
"Immigration and Welfare Magnets,"
NBER Working Papers
6813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedersen, Peder J. & Pytlikova, Mariola & Smith, Nina, 2004. "Selection or Network Effects? Migration Flows into 27 OECD Countries, 1990-2000," IZA Discussion Papers 1104, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mincer, Jacob, 1978.
"Family Migration Decisions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 749-773, October.
- Borjas, George J, 1987.
"Self-Selection and the Earnings of Immigrants,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 531-553, September.
- Kristi Anniste & Tiit Tammaru & Enel Pungas & Tiiu Paas, 2012. "Emigration After Eu Enlargement: Was There A Brain Drain Effect In The Case Of Estonia?," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 87, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Benoit A. Delbecq & Brigitte S. Waldorf, 2010. "Going West In The European Union:Migration And Eu Enlargement," Working Papers 10-4, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nor:wpaper:2013016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norface Migration Administrator)or (Thomas Cornelissen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.