The traffic and behavioral effects of the I-35W Mississippi River bridge collapse
The collapse, on August 1, 2007, of the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, abruptly interrupted the usual route of about 140,000 daily vehicle trips and substantially disturbed the ßow pattern on the network. It took several weeks for the network to re-equilibrate, during which period, travelers continued to learn and adjust their travel decisions. A good understanding of this process is crucial for traffic management and designing mitigation schemes. A survey collected behavioral responses to the bridge collapse. Traffic data were also collected to understand the traffic conditions experienced by road users. Data from both resources are analyzed and compared. Findings of behavioral effects of capacity changes could have significant implications for travel demand modeling, especially of day-to-day travel demand
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Transportation Research part A 44(10), Dec 2010, pp. 771-784.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dept. of Civil Engineering, 500 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455|
Phone: +01 (612) 625-6354
Fax: +01 (612) 626-7750
Web page: http://nexus.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Stephanie E. & Nojima, Nobuoto, 2001. "Measuring post-disaster transportation system performance: the 1995 Kobe earthquake in comparative perspective," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 475-494, July.
- David Levinson & Kathleen Harder & John Bloomfield & Kathy Carlson, 2006. "Waiting Tolerance: Ramp Delay vs. Freeway Congestion," Working Papers 200602, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- David A. Hensher & Ann M. Brewer, 2002. "Going for gold at the Sydney Olympics: How did transport perform?," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 381-399, January.
- Agachai Sumalee & Fumitaka Kurauchi, 2006. "Network Capacity Reliability Analysis Considering Traffic Regulation after a Major Disaster," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 205-219, September.
- P.B. Goodwin, 1977. "Habit and Hysteresis in Mode Choice," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 14(1), pages 95-98, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nex:wpaper:i-35w-trb2009-sger. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Levinson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.