The traffic and behavioral effects of the I-35W Mississippi River bridge collapse
On August 1, 2007, the collapse of the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis abruptly interrupted the usual route of about 140,000 daily vehicle trips, which substantially disturbed regular traffic flow patterns on the network. It took several weeks for the network to re-equilibrate, during which period travelers continued to learn and adjust their travel decisions. A good understanding of this process is crucial for traffic management and the design of mitigation schemes. Data from loop-detectors, bus ridership statistics, and a survey are analyzed and compared, revealing the evolving traffic reactions to the bridge collapse and how individual choices could help to explain such dynamics. Findings on short-term traffic dynamics and behavioral reactions to this major network disruption have important implications for traffic management in response to future scenarios.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agachai Sumalee & Fumitaka Kurauchi, 2006. "Network Capacity Reliability Analysis Considering Traffic Regulation after a Major Disaster," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 205-219, September.
- P.B. Goodwin, 1977. "Habit and Hysteresis in Mode Choice," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 14(1), pages 95-98, February.
- David A. Hensher & Ann M. Brewer, 2002. "Going for gold at the Sydney Olympics: How did transport perform?," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 381-399, January.
- Chang, Stephanie E. & Nojima, Nobuoto, 2001. "Measuring post-disaster transportation system performance: the 1995 Kobe earthquake in comparative perspective," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 475-494, July.
- David Levinson & Kathleen Harder & John Bloomfield & Kathy Carlson, 2006. "Waiting Tolerance: Ramp Delay vs. Freeway Congestion," Working Papers 200602, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:44:y:2010:i:10:p:771-784. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.