Medicaid and Service Use Among Homeless Adults
Expansions of Medicaid eligibility intend to improve access to care, and to shift care from emergency rooms and inpatient hospital care to more appropriate sites. We examine the effect of Medicaid recipiency on the level and site of medical service utilization using data from 1985 and 1987 surveys of New York City homeless single men and women. Simple regressions of Medicaid on the use of health services among homeless adults indicate that Medicaid significantly increases the likelihood that these individuals receive services, especially emergency and inpatient hospital services. We test this result in further analyses that control for health status, use instrumental variables procedures, and examine differences between a similar population in 1985 and 1987. These analyses suggest that Medicaid neither increases nor diminishes access to emergency rooms. We find some evidence that suggests that Medicaid does improve access to non-hospital medical care.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Inquiry, Vol. 35, no. 4 (1998): 380-388.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988.
"The Distribution of the Instrumental Variables Estimator and Its t-RatioWhen the Instrument is a Poor One,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Charles R & Startz, Richard, 1990. "The Distribution of the Instrumental Variables Estimator and Its t-Ratio When the Instrument Is a Poor One," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages S125-40, January.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "The Distribution Of The Instrumental Variables Estimator And Its T-Ratio When The Instrument Is A Poor One," Working Papers 88-07, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "The Distribution Of The Instrumental Variables Estimator And Its T-Ratio When The Instrument Is A Poor One," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 88-07, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5834. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.