The Market for Home Mortgage Credit: Recent Changes and Future Prospects
Three major changes occurred during the 1980s in the market for home mortgage credit; the securitization of fixed-rate mortgages, the development of a national primary market for adjustable-rate mortgages, and the decimation of the saving and loan industry. These changes and their impacts on various financial industries and homebuyers are the subjects of this paper. I also briefly speculate about likely future changes in this market.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Gilbert, ed., Recent Changes in the Market for Financial Services, Economic Policy Conference, FRB of St. Louis, 1992, pp.99-123|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patric H. Hendershott & Robert Van Order, 1989.
"Integration of Mortgage and Capital Markets and the Accumulation of Residential Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
2847, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hendershott, Patric H. & Van Order, Robert, 1989. "Integration of mortgage and capital markets and the accumulation of residential capital," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 189-210, May.
- Joe Peek, 1990. "A call to ARMs: adjustable rate mortgages in the 1980s," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 47-61.
- David F. Seiders, 1983. "Mortgage Pass-Through Securities: Progress and Prospects," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 11(2), pages 264-287.
- Michael O'Keefe & Robert Order, 1990. "Mortgage Pricing: Some Provisional Empirical Results," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 313-322.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.