Industrial Organization and Product Quality: Evidence From South Korean and Taiwanese Exports
The central focus of this paper is on the relationship between domestic market structure and export performance. It evaluates the hypothesis that more concentrated industrial sectors can achieve more easily the transition from standardized, labor-intensive manufactures to sophisticated, skill intensive products, as such industries are better able to cope with the inevitable reputational externalities involved in producing high-quality goods for foreign markets. South Korea and Taiwan provide a good test of the theory, as they have sharply different market structures. The results of the empirical analysis provide strong support for the hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as M. Alasdair Smith and Paul R. Krugman, editors. Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press 1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- anonymous, 1987. "New Zealand economic chronology 1986," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 50, march.
- Gene M. Grossman & Henrik Horn, 1987.
"Infant-Industry Protection Reconsidered: The Case of Informational Barriers to Entry,"
NBER Working Papers
2159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gene M. Grossman & Henrik Horn, 1988. "Infant-Industry Protection Reconsidered: The Case of Informational Barriers to Entry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(4), pages 767-787.
- anonymous, 1987. "Review of domestic and external economy," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 50, march.
- Chiang, Shih-Chen & Masson, Robert T, 1988. "Domestic Industrial Structure and Export Quality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 261-70, May.
- Wolfgang Mayer, 1984. "The Infant-Export Industry Argument," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 249-69, May.
- -, 1987. "Planning for a fresh social and economic dynamic," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), April.
- Kyle Bagwell & R. Staiger, 1987.
"The Role of Export Subsidies When Product Quality is Unknown,"
758, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 1989. "The role of export subsidies when product quality is unknown," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 69-89, August.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1988. "The Role Of Export Subsisies When Product Quality Is Unknown," NBER Working Papers 2584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- -, 1987. "Evolución de la economía brasileña," Informe Estadístico – Oficina de la CEPAL en Brasilia 27977, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Anonymous, 1987. "Australian Agricultural Economics Society Awards 1986," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 31(02), August.
- Lok-sang, Ho, 1987. "Long Run Equilibrium and Macroeconomic Policy," Departmental Working Papers _003, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Ross, Marc & Larson, Eric D. & Williams, Robert H., 1987. "Energy demand and materials flows in the economy," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 12(10), pages 953-967.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.