The Importance of Local Fiscal Conditions in Analyzing Local Labor Markets
A new test of the compensating wage differential model is proposed. The logic behind Roback's model showing how differences in nonproduced amenities may be reflected in intercity wage differentials is extended to the case of differences in local fiscal conditions, represented by tax rates and publicly produced services. Results show that differences in local tax rates and services provisions do generate compensating wage differentials across cities. The effects of a particularly large set of taxes and effective services output measures are examined.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Political Economy, vol.97, no. 5, October 1989, pp.1208-1231.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greg J. Duncan, 1976. "Earnings Functions and Nonpecuniary Benefits," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 11(4), pages 462-483.
- John Abowd & Orley Ashenfelter, 1980.
"Anticipated Unemployment, Temporary Layoffs and Compensating Wage Differentials,"
517, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- John M. Abowd & Orley C. Ashenfelter, 1981. "Anticipated Unemployment, Temporary Layoffs, and Compensating Wage Differentials," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 141-170 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duncan, Greg J & Holmlund, Bertil, 1983.
"Was Adam Smith Right after All? Another Test of the Theory of Compensating Wage Differentials,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(4), pages 366-79, October.
- Duncan, Greg J. & Holmlund, Bertil, 1983. "Was Adam Smith Right, After All? Another Test of the Theory of Compensating Wage Differentials," Working Paper Series 93, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Brown, Charles, 1980. "Equalizing Differences in the Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 113-34, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.