Unobservable Selection and Coefficient Stability: Theory and Validation
A common heuristic for evaluating robustness of results to omitted variable bias is to look at coefficient movements after inclusion of controls. This heuristic is informative only if selection on observables is proportional to selection on unobservables. I formalize this link, drawing on theory in Altonji, Elder and Taber (2005) and show how, with this assumption, coefficient movements, along with movements in R-squared values, can be used to calculate omitted variable bias. I discuss empirical implementation and describe a formal bounding argument to replace the coefficient movement heuristic. I show two validation exercises suggesting that this bounding argument would perform well empirically. I discuss application of this procedure to a large set of publications in economics, and use evidence from randomized studies to draw guidelines as to appropriate bounding values.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana-Domeque, 2011.
"Fatter Attraction: Anthropometric and Socioeconomic Matching on the Marriage Market,"
1011-06, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Pierre-Andr� Chiappori & Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana-Domeque, 2012. "Fatter Attraction: Anthropometric and Socioeconomic Matching on the Marriage Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(4), pages 659 - 695.
- Pierre Chiapore & Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010. "Fatter attraction: anthropometric and socieconomic matching on the marriage market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana-Domeque, 2010. "Fatter Attraction: Anthropometric and Socioeconomic Matching on the Marriage Market," Working Papers 2011-012, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Douglas Almond & Bhashkar Mazumder, 2011. "Health Capital and the Prenatal Environment: The Effect of Ramadan Observance during Pregnancy," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 56-85, October.
- LaLonde, Robert J, 1986. "Evaluating the Econometric Evaluations of Training Programs with Experimental Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 604-20, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.