Government Policy and Ownership of Financial Assets
Since World War II, direct stock ownership by households across the globe has largely been replaced by indirect stock ownership by financial institutions. We argue that tax policy is the driving force. Using long time-series from eight countries, we show that the fraction of household ownership decreases with measures of the tax benefits of holding stocks inside tax-deferred plans. This finding is important for policy considerations on effective taxation and for financial economics research on the long-term effects of taxation on corporate finance and asset prices.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Government Policy and Ownership of Financial Assets, 2014 Journal of Financial Economics 111, 70-85 (with Kristian Rydqvist and Joshua Spizman)|
|Note:||AP CF PE|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clemens Sialm & Laura Starks, 2009.
"Mutual Fund Tax Clienteles,"
NBER Working Papers
15327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Jennifer Huang, 2008. "Taxable and Tax-Deferred Investing: A Tax-Arbitrage Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(5), pages 2173-2207, September.
- Brandon Julio & David L. Ikenberry, 2004. "Reappearing Dividends," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 16(4), pages 89-100.
- Richard Green & Burton Hollifield, 2000.
"The Personal Tax Advantage of Equity,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1611, Econometric Society.
- Kenneth R. French, 2008. "Presidential Address: The Cost of Active Investing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1537-1573, 08.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Vermaelen, Theo, 1983. " Tax Reform and Ex-Dividend Day Behavior," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1157-79, September.
- Clemens Sialm, 2009. "Tax Changes and Asset Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(4), pages 1356-83, September.
- Chetty, Raj & Saez, Emmanuel, 2004.
"Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behaviour: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2005. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(3), pages 791-833.
- Raj Chetty & Emmanuel Saez, 2004. "Dividend Taxes and Corporate Behavior: Evidence from the 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," NBER Working Papers 10841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugene Fama & F. & Kenneth R. French, .
"The Equity Premium.","
CRSP working papers
522, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Poterba, James M. & Samwick, Andrew A., 2003.
"Taxation and household portfolio composition: US evidence from the 1980s and 1990s,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 5-38, January.
- James M. Poterba & Andrew Samwick, 1999. "Taxation and Household Portfolio Composition: U.S. Evidence from the 1980s and 1990s," NBER Working Papers 7392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Bergstresser & James Poterba, 2002.
"Asset Allocation and Asset Location: Household Evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances,"
NBER Working Papers
9268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bergstresser, Daniel & Poterba, James, 2004. "Asset allocation and asset location: household evidence from the survey of consumer finances," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1893-1915, August.
- J. B. Chay & Dosoung Choi & Jeffrey Pontiff, 2006. "Market Valuation of Tax-Timing Options: Evidence from Capital Gains Distributions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 837-865, 04.
- Alon Brav & John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Roni Michaely, 2008. "Managerial Response to the May 2003 Dividend Tax Cut," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 611-624, December.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17522. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.