Taxation, Portfolio Choice, and Debt-Equity Ratios: A General Equilibrium Model
This paper explores the portfolio behavior of investors differing with respect to both tax rates and risk-aversion, emphasizing the role of constraints on individual and firm behavior in ensuring the existence of and characterizing portfolio equilibrium. Under certain conditions on the securities available in the market, which also are required for shareholders to be unanimous in supporting firm value maximization, investors will be segmented by tax rate into two groups, one specialized in equity and the other in debt. Though the relative wealths of the two groups determines the aggregate debt-equity ratio, each firm will be indifferent to its financial policy.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1980|
|Publication status:||published as Auerbach, Alan J. and King, Mervyn A. "Taxation, Portfolio Choice and Debt- Equity Ratios: A General Equilibrium Model." Quarterly Journal of Economics , (November 1983): 588-609.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-275, May.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Bradford, David F., 1980.
"Taxation and the stock market valuation of capital gains and dividends : Theory and emphirical results,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 109-136, October.
- Roger H. Gordon & David F. Bradford, 1980. "Taxation and the stock market valuation of capital gains and dividends : Theory and emphirical results," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Studies in Public Finance, pages 109-136 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1980.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
0254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mervyn A. King, 1974. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Mervyn A. King, 1979. "Corporate Financial Policy, Taxes, and Uncertainty: An Integration," NBER Working Papers 0324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0546. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.