Coercive Contract Enforcement: Law and the Labor Market in 19th Century Industrial Britain
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Bobonis, Gustavo J. & Morrow, Peter M., 2014. "Labor coercion and the accumulation of human capital," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 32-53.
- Ulf von Lilienfeld-Toal & Dilip Mookherjee, 2010. "The Political Economy of Debt Bondage," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 44-84, August.
- Huberman,Michael, 2010. "Escape from the Market," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521142663, December.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Domar, Evsey D. & Machina, Mark J., 1984. "On the Profitability of Russian Serfdom," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 919-955, December.
- James M. Malcomson, 1997. "Contracts, Hold-Up, and Labor Markets," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(4), pages 1916-1957, December.
- Mukherjee, Anindita & Ray, Debraj, 1995.
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 207-239, August.
- Anindita Mukherjee & Debraj Ray, 1992. "Labor Tying," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 29, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Beaudry, Paul & DiNardo, John, 1991. "The Effect of Implicit Contracts on the Movement of Wages over the Business Cycle: Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 665-688, August.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Labour repression & the Indo-Japanese divergence
by pseudoerasmus in Pseudoerasmus on 2017-10-02 06:04:55
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Galor, Oded & Munshi, Kaivan & Wilson, Nicolas, 2013. "Inclusive Institutions and Long-Run Misallocation," MPRA Paper 51643, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daron Acemoglu & James A. Robinson, 2015.
"The Rise and Decline of General Laws of Capitalism,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 29(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Daron Acemoglu & James A. Robinson, 2014. "The Rise and Decline of General Laws of Capitalism," NBER Working Papers 20766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nunn, Nathan & Trefler, Daniel, 2014.
"Domestic Institutions as a Source of Comparative Advantage,"
Handbook of International Economics, in: Gopinath, G. & Helpman, . & Rogoff, K. (ed.),Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 0, pages 263-315,
- Nathan Nunn & Daniel Trefler, 2013. "Domestic Institutions as a Source of Comparative Advantage," NBER Working Papers 18851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aguirre, Alvaro, 2019.
"Rebellions, Technical Change, and the Early Development of Political Institutions in Latin America,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 65-89.
- Álvaro Aguirre, 2013. "Rebellions, Technical Change, and the Early Development of Political Institutions in Latin America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 688, Central Bank of Chile.
- Gupta, Bishnupriya & Swamy, Anand, 2013. "Unfree Labour: Did Indenture Reduce Labour Supply to Tea Plantations in Assam?," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 177, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Daron Acemoglu & Suresh Naidu & Pascual Restrepo & James A. Robinson, 2013. "Democracy, Redistribution and Inequality," NBER Working Papers 19746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
- K31 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Labor Law
- N13 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N43 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Europe: Pre-1913
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17051. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.