Health, Disability and Pathways to Retirement in Spain
In this paper we analyze the trends in labor force participation and transitions to benefit programs of older workers in relation to health trends as well as recent Social Security reforms. Our preliminary conclusions are pessimistic regarding the effect of health improvements on the labor market attachment of older workers since we show that despite the large improvements in the mortality rates among older individuals in Spain, the employment rates of individuals older than fifty-five remain lower than the ones observed in the late 1970s. Some caution should remain in our conclusions as the evidence on health trends is inconclusive. Regarding the effect of Social Security reforms, we find that both the 1997 and the 2002 reform decreased the stock into old-age benefits at the cost of an increased share of the participation into disability. Finally, we find that there was a significant increase in the outflow from employment into disability after the 2002 reform.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Health, disability and pathways into retirement in Spain (with Sergi Jiménez Martin and Judit Vall Castelló). In Social Security Programs around the World: Historical Trends in Mortality and Health, Employment, and Disability Insurance Participation and Reform. DA Wise, ed. University of Chicago Press. 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José M. Labeaga & Cristina Vilaplana Prieto, 2006.
"Award errors and permanent disability benefits in Spain,"
Economics Working Papers
966, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sergi Jimenez-Martin & Jose M. Labeaga & Cristina Vilaplana Prieto, 2007. "Award errors and permanent disability benefits in Spain," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 07/04, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José M. Labeaga & Cristina Vilaplana, 2006. "Award Errors and Permanent Disability Benefits in Spain," Working Papers 2006-18, FEDEA.
- David H. Autor & Mark G. Duggan, 2003. "The Rise In The Disability Rolls And The Decline In Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 157-205, February.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-355918 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.