The Great Escape: A Review Essay on Fogel's 'The Escape from Hunger and Premature Death, 1700-2100'
In this essay, I review Robert Fogel's The Escape from Hunger and Premature Death, 1700-2100 which is concerned with the past, present, and future of human health. Fogel's work places great emphasis on nutrition, not only for the history of health, but for explaining aspects of current health, not only in comparing poor and rich countries, but in thinking about rich countries now and in the future. I discuss Fogel's analysis alongside alternative interpretations that place greater emphasis on the historical role of public health, and on the current and future role of improvements in medical technology.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Deaton, Angus. "The Great Escape: A Review Of Robert Fogel's The Escape From Hunger and Premature Death, 1700-2100," Journal of Economic Literature, 2006, v44(1,Mar), 106-114.|
|Note:||AG CH HC|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fogel, Robert William, 2000. "The Fourth Great Awakening and the Future of Egalitarianism," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226256627, July.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005.
"Health and wealth among the poor: India and South Africa compared,"
236, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005. "Health and Wealth among the Poor: India and South Africa Compared," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 229-233, May.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005. "Health and wealth among the poor: India and South Africa compared," Working Papers 169, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Robert W. Fogel, 2005. "Changes in the Physiology of Aging during the Twentieth Century," NBER Working Papers 11233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:11308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.