The Great Escape: A Review Essay on Fogel's 'The Escape from Hunger and Premature Death, 1700-2100'
In this essay, I review Robert Fogel's The Escape from Hunger and Premature Death, 1700-2100 which is concerned with the past, present, and future of human health. Fogel's work places great emphasis on nutrition, not only for the history of health, but for explaining aspects of current health, not only in comparing poor and rich countries, but in thinking about rich countries now and in the future. I discuss Fogel's analysis alongside alternative interpretations that place greater emphasis on the historical role of public health, and on the current and future role of improvements in medical technology.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Publication status:||published as Deaton, Angus. "The Great Escape: A Review Of Robert Fogel's The Escape From Hunger and Premature Death, 1700-2100," Journal of Economic Literature, 2006, v44(1,Mar), 106-114.|
|Note:||AG CH HC|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fogel, Robert William, 2000. "The Fourth Great Awakening and the Future of Egalitarianism," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226256627, October.
- Robert Fogel & Dora Costa, 1997. "A theory of technophysio evolution, with some implications for forecasting population, health care costs, and pension costs," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 34(1), pages 49-66, February.
- repec:pri:cheawb:case_deaton_healthwealth is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pri:rpdevs:case_deaton_healthwealth is not listed on IDEAS
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005.
"Health and Wealth among the Poor: India and South Africa Compared,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 229-233, May.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005. "Health and wealth among the poor: India and South Africa compared," Working Papers 236, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2005. "Health and wealth among the poor: India and South Africa compared," Working Papers 169, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- repec:pri:rpdevs:case_deaton_healthwealth.pdf is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pri:cheawb:case_deaton_healthwealth.pdf is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert W. Fogel, 2005. "Changes in the Physiology of Aging during the Twentieth Century," NBER Working Papers 11233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)