Unbiased Estimation of the Half-Life to PPP Convergence in Panel Data
Three potential sources of bias present complications for estimating the half-life of purchasing power parity deviations from panel data. They are the bias associated with inapproiate aggregation across heterogeneous coefficients, time aggregation of commodity prices, and downward bias in estimation of dynamic lag coefficients. Each of these biases have been addressed individually in the literature. In this paper, we address all three biases in arriving at our estimates. Analyzing an annual panel data set of real exchange rates for 21 OECD countries from 1948 to 2002, our point estimate of the half-life is 5.5 years.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Choi, Chi-Young, Nelson C. Mark and Donggyu Sul. "Unbiased Estimation Of The Half-Life To PPP Convergence In Panel Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 2006, v38(4,Jun), 921-938.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Papell, David H. & Theodoridis, Hristos, 1998. "Increasing evidence of purchasing power parity over the current float," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 41-50, February.
- Fleissig, Adrian R. & Strauss, Jack, 2000. "Panel unit root tests of purchasing power parity for price indices," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 489-506, August.
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- Brewer, K. R. W., 1973. "Some consequences of temporal aggregation and systematic sampling for ARMA and ARMAX models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 133-154, June.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morten O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2003.
"PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0307, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morten Ravn & Hélène Rey, 2005. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 1-43, January.
- Haroon Mumtaz & Jean Imbs & Morten O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2003. "PPP Strikes Back; Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," IMF Working Papers 03/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Imbs, Jean & Mumtaz, Haroon & Ravn, Morten O & Rey, Hélène, 2003. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 3715, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morton O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2002. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 9372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Renato Flôres & Philippe Jorion & Pierre-Yves Preumont & Ariane Szafarz, 1999.
"Multivariate Unit root Tests of the PPP Hypothesis,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/711, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Flores, Renato & Jorion, Philippe & Preumont, Pierre-Yves & Szafarz, Ariane, 1999. "Multivariate unit root tests of the PPP hypothesis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 335-353, October.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen & Charles Engel, 2004.
"Does "Aggregation Bias" Explain the PPP Puzzle?,"
NBER Working Papers
10304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Chi-Young Choi & Nelson C. Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Bias Reduction by Recursive Mean Adjustment in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Econometrics 0409005, EconWPA.
- Chiu, Ru-Lin, 2002. "Testing the purchasing power parity in panel data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 349-362.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Andrew K. Rose., 1995.
"A Panel Project on Purchasing Power Parity: Mean Reversion Within and Between Countries,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-052, University of California at Berkeley.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1996. "A panel project on purchasing power parity: Mean reversion within and between countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 209-224, February.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1995. "A Panel Project on Purchasing Power Parity: Mean Reversion Within and Between Countries," NBER Working Papers 5006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1995. "A Panel Project on Purchasing Power Parity: Mean Reversion Within and Between Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1999. "Some Consequences of Temporal Aggregation in Empirical Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 129-36, January.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Sul, Donggyu, 2007.
"Bias in dynamic panel estimation with fixed effects, incidental trends and cross section dependence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 162-188, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm428, Yale School of Management.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1438, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 2004.
- Papell, David H & Theodoridis, Hristos, 2001. "The Choice of Numeraire Currency in Panel Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 790-803, August.
- Papell, David H., 2006. "The Panel Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(2), pages 447-467, March.
- Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2000.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Persistence Paradigm,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0017, Econometric Society.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Rossana, Robert J & Seater, John J, 1992. "Aggregation, Unit Roots and the Time Series Structure on Manufacturing Real Wages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(1), pages 159-79, February.
- Choi, Chi-Young, 2004. "Searching for evidence of long-run PPP from a post-Bretton Woods panel: separating the wheat from the chaff," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 1159-1186.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:10614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.