Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Productivity Suites
Results of hedonic price regressions for personal computer operating systems and productivity suites advertised in PC World magazine by retail vendors during the time period 1984 to 2000 are reported. Among the quality attribute variables we use are new measures capturing the presence of network effects in personal computer operating systems, such as connectivity and compatibility, and product integration among components of productivity suites. Average annual growth rates of quality-adjusted prices of personal computer operating systems range from -15 to -18 percent, while those for productivity suites generally range between -13 and -16 percent. Price declines are generally greater in the latter half of the samples.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Alan G. WHITE & Jaison R. ABEL & Ernst R. BERNDT & Cory W. MONROE, 2005. "Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Productivity Suites," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 79-80, pages 787-807.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Doms & Ana M. Aizcorbe & Carol Corrado, 2003. "When do matched-model and hedonic techniques yield similar measures?," Working Paper Series 2003-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1993.
"Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study,"
in: Price Measurements and Their Uses, pages 63-100
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study," NBER Working Papers 3378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaison R. Abel & Ernst R. Berndt & Alan G. White, 2003. "Price Indexes for Microsoft's Personal Computer Software Products," NBER Working Papers 9966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana M. Aizcorbe, 2003. "The stability of dummy variable price measures obtained from hedonic regressions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-05, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:10427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.