Price Indexes for Microsoft's Personal Computer Software Products
Using a unique and comprehensive data source, we measure price changes for Microsoft's desktop personal computer software products during the time period July 1993 through June 2001. This paper contributes to a relatively small literature on price measurement of pre-packaged software by incorporating important channels of distribution, such as volume licensing and Original Equipment Manufacturer, as well as changes in product form, such as upgrades and integrated productivity suites, into matched-model price indexes. Although there are differences over time periods and across products, we find that the prices of Microsoft's desktop operating systems and applications have generally been falling over this time period.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Berndt, Ernst R. and Charles M. Hulten, (eds.) Hard-to-Measure Goods and Services: Essays in Honor of Zvi Griliches, National Bureau of Economic Research, Studies in Income and Wealth, Vol. 67. Chicago: University of Chicago Press for the National Bureau of Economic Research, 2007.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Chris F. Kemerer, 1996.
"Network Externalities in Microcomputer Software: An Econometric Analysis of the Spreadsheet Market,"
INFORMS, vol. 42(12), pages 1627-1647, December.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Chris F. Kemerer, 1993. "Network Externalities in Microcomputer Software: An Econometric Analysis of the Spreadsheet Market," Working Paper Series 158, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Robert S. Pindyck & Pierre Azoulay, 2003.
"Consumption Externalities and Diffusion in Pharmaceutical Markets: Antiulcer Drugs,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 243-270, 06.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Robert S. Pindyck & Pierre Azoulay, 2000. "Consumption Externalities and Diffusion in Pharmaceutical Markets: Antiulcer Drugs," NBER Working Papers 7772, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Susan Busch & Richard Frank, 2001. "Treatment Price Indexes for Acute Phase Major Depression," NBER Chapters, in: Medical Care Output and Productivity, pages 463-508 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:9966. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.