Hedonic Price Indexes for Personal Computer Operating Systems and Produtivity Suites
In: Contributions in Memory of Zvi Griliches
Results of hedonic price regressions for personal computer operating systems and productivity suites advertised in PC World magazine by retail vendors during the time period 1984 to 2000 are reported. Among the quality attribute variables we use are new measures capturing the presence of network effects in personal computer operating systems, such as connectivity and compatibility, and product integration among components of productivity suites. Average annual growth rates of quality-adjusted prices of personal computer operating systems range from -15 to -18 percent, while those for productivity suites generally range between -13 and -16 percent. Price declines are generally greater in the latter half of the samples.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
12255.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:12255||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1993.
"Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study,"
in: Price Measurements and Their Uses, pages 63-100
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Price Indexes for Microcomputers: An Exploratory Study," NBER Working Papers 3378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana M. Aizcorbe, 2003. "The stability of dummy variable price measures obtained from hedonic regressions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-05, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jaison R. Abel & Ernst R. Berndt & Alan G. White, 2003. "Price Indexes for Microsoft's Personal Computer Software Products," NBER Working Papers 9966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Doms & Ana M. Aizcorbe & Carol Corrado, 2003. "When do matched-model and hedonic techniques yield similar measures?," Working Paper Series 2003-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:12255. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.