Sharing the costs of cleaning a river: the Upstream Responsibility rule
The cleaning up of waste present in transboundary rivers, which requires the cooperation of diferent authorities, is a problematic issue, especially when responsibility for the discharge of the waste is not well-defined. Following Ni and Wang  we assume that a river is a segment divided into several regions from upstream to downstream. We show that when the transfer rate of the waste is unknown, the clean-up cost vector provides useful information for estimating some limits in regard to the responsibility of each region. We propose a cost allocation rule, the Upstream Responsibility rule, which takes into account these limits in distributing costs "fairly" and we provide an axiomatic characterization of this rule via certain properties based on basic ideas concerning the responsibility of regions.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Arrosadía - 31006 Pamplona (Spain)|
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
|Order Information:|| Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Yuntong, 2011. "Trading water along a river," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 124-130, March.
- Anna Khmelnitskaya, 2010. "Values for rooted-tree and sink-tree digraph games and sharing a river," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 69(4), pages 657-669, October.
- Yann Rébillé & Lionel Richefort, 2012. "Sharing Water from many Rivers," Working Papers hal-00678997, HAL.
- Ambec, Stefan & Ehlers, Lars, 2008. "Sharing a river among satiable agents," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 35-50, September.
- Beard, Rodney, 2011.
"The river sharing problem: A review of the technical literature for policy economists,"
34382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rodney Beard, 2011. "The river sharing problem : A review of the technical literature for policy economists," Post-Print hal-00827354, HAL.
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000.
"Sharing a River,"
Cahiers de recherche
2000-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ambec, Stefan & Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 0006, GREEN.
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000. "Sharing a River," Papers 00-06, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- AMBEC, Steve & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 2000-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Sylvain Béal & Amandine Ghintran & Éric Rémila & Philippe Solal, 2013.
"The River Sharing Problem : a Survey,"
- María Gómez-Rúa, 2013. "Sharing a polluted river through environmental taxes," SERIEs: Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 137-153, June.
- Parrachino, Irene & Dinar, Ariel & Patrone, Fioravante, 2006. "Cooperative game theory and its application to natural, environmental, and water resource issues : 3. application to water resources," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4074, The World Bank.
- Segerson, Kathleen, 1988. "Uncertainty and incentives for nonpoint pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 87-98, March.
- van den Brink, René & van der Laan, Gerard & Moes, Nigel, 2012.
"Fair agreements for sharing international rivers with multiple springs and externalities,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 388-403.
- Rene van den Brink & Gerard van der Laan & Nigel Moes, 2010. "Fair Agreements for Sharing International Rivers with Multiple Springs and Externalities," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-096/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Barret, Scott & DEC, 1994. "Conflict and cooperation in managing international water resources," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1303, The World Bank.
- Ni, Debing & Wang, Yuntong, 2007. "Sharing a polluted river," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 176-186, July.
- S. C. Littlechild & G. Owen, 1973. "A Simple Expression for the Shapley Value in a Special Case," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 370-372, November.
- Baomin Dong & Debing Ni & Yuntong Wang, 2012.
"Sharing a Polluted River Network,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 53(3), pages 367-387, November.
- Gerard van der Laan & Nigel Moes, 2012. "Transboundary Externalities and Property Rights: An International River Pollution Model," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-006/1, Tinbergen Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nav:ecupna:1301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.