The Price Impact Of Adopting The Common Agricultural Policy In Estonia: Estimated Versus Actual Effects
With accession to the EU, Estonia gave up its liberal trade and agricultural policies and adopted the much more protectionist regime of the EU. Prior to accession, many studies predicted that this would lead to price increases for agricultural products and processed food. This article discusses the results from the studies conducted and compares them with actual price changes that have occurred. The article concludes that prices have actually increased much less than predicted, with only a few exceptions like sugar. The reason lies in the uncertainties associated with policy modelling as well as the gradual price convergence already in motion before accession.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Narva mnt 4, 51009 Tartu|
Phone: (+372 7) 376 310
Fax: (+372 7) 376 312
Web page: http://www.mtk.ut.ee
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christine A. McDaniel & Edward J. Balistreri, 2003.
"A Discussion on Armington Trade Substitution Elasticities,"
- McDaniel, Christine A. & Balistreri, Edward J., 2002. "A Discussion on Armington Trade Substitution Elasticities," Working Papers 15856, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- van Tongeren, Frank & van Meijl, Hans & Surry, Yves, 2001.
"Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment,"
Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 149-172, November.
- Tongeren, Frank van & Meijl, Hans van & Surry, Yves, 2001. "Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(2), November.
- Urmas Varblane & Kristina Toming & Rena Selliov, 2002. "The Impact Of Eu-Accession On The Estonian Trade With Food Products – Partial Equilibrium Approach," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 11, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtk:febawb:45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Reino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.