Bayesian Approaches to Non-parametric Estimation of Densities on the Unit Interval
This paper investigates nonparametric estimation of density on [0,1]. The kernel estimator of density on [0,1] has been found to be sensitive to both bandwidth and kernel. This paper proposes a unified Bayesian framework for choosing both the bandwidth and kernel function. In a simulation study, the Bayesian bandwidth estimator performed better than others, and kernel estimators were sensitive to the choice of the kernel and the shapes of the population densities on [0,1]. The simulation and empirical results demonstrate that the methods proposed in this paper can improve the way the probability densities on [0,1] are presently estimated.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joachim Grammig & Michael Melvin & Christian Schlag, 2005.
"Internationally Cross-Listed Stock Prices During Overlapping Trading Hours: Price Discovery and Exchange Rate Effects,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
78, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Grammig, Joachim & Melvin, Michael & Schlag, Christian, 2005. "Internationally cross-listed stock prices during overlapping trading hours: price discovery and exchange rate effects," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 139-164, January.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- John Geweke, 1999.
"Using simulation methods for bayesian econometric models: inference, development,and communication,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 1-73.
- John F. Geweke, 1998. "Using simulation methods for Bayesian econometric models: inference, development, and communication," Staff Report 249, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tse, Y.K. & Zhang, Bill & Yu, Jun, 2002.
"Estimation of Hyperbolic Diffusion using MCMC Method,"
182, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Y.K. Tse & Xibin Zhang & Jun Yu, 2002. "Estimation of Hyperbolic Diffusion Using MCMC Method," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 18/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Olivier RENAULT & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003.
"On the Way to Recovery: A Nonparametric Bias Free Estimation of Recovery Rate Densities,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp83, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Renault, Olivier & Scaillet, Olivier, 2004. "On the way to recovery: A nonparametric bias free estimation of recovery rate densities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2915-2931, December.
- Y. K. Tse & Xibin Zhang & Jun Yu, 2004. "Estimation of hyperbolic diffusion using the Markov chain Monte Carlo method," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 158-169.
- Calabrese, Raffaella & Zenga, Michele, 2010. "Bank loan recovery rates: Measuring and nonparametric density estimation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 903-911, May.
- Zhang, Xibin & Brooks, Robert D. & King, Maxwell L., 2009.
"A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel regression with an application to state-price density estimation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 21-32, November.
- Xibin Zhang & Robert D. Brooks & Maxwell L. King, 2007. "A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel regression with an application to state-price density estimation," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 11/07, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ferreira José António & Zwinderman Aeilko H, 2006. "Approximate Power and Sample Size Calculations with the Benjamini-Hochberg Method," The International Journal of Biostatistics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-38, September.
- Zhang, Xibin & King, Maxwell L. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3009-3031, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2012-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.