Robust Error Specification in a Production System
Economists who estimate demand or supply systems are often faced with the issue of whether to estimate with shares or quantities as the dependent variables. This paper reviews the implications of making the wrong choice in the context of normalized profit functions of competitive behavior. The implication is that inconsistent estimates are obtained if one makes the wrong choice. A robust structure is proposed which nests these forms (shares or quantities) in a general system and that allows the data to suggest which form is preferable. An application to the U.S. agricultural sector follows. Our results suggest that shares and quantities are rejected in favor of an alternative functional form.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thompson, Gary D., 1988. "Choice Of Flexible Functional Forms: Review And Appraisal," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(02), December.
- David Aadland & DeeVon Bailey, 2001. "Short-Run Supply Responses in the U.S. Beef-Cattle Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 826-839.
- Bryan W. Brown & Mary Beth Walker, 1992. "Stochastic specification in random production models of cost minimizing firms," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 92-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Brown, Bryan W. & Walker, Mary Beth, 1995. "Stochastic specification in random production models of cost-minimizing firms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 175-205.
- Amemiya, Takeshi & Powell, James L., 1981. "A comparison of the Box-Cox maximum likelihood estimator and the non-linear two-stage least squares estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 351-381, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:2012-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.