Robust Error Specification in a Production System
Economists estimating demand and supply systems face the question of using shares or quantities as dependent variables. This article finds that inconsistent estimates are obtained if one makes the wrong choice. A robust structure is presented to let the data choose the preferred form. Empirical applications to U.S. and Texas agriculture using the generalized method of moments suggest that shares and quantities are rejected in favor of a more general functional form. The Texas application provides some evidence for fixed capital but not for labor. Copyright 2013, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 95 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Bryan W. & Walker, Mary Beth, 1995. "Stochastic specification in random production models of cost-minimizing firms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 175-205.
- Bryan W. Brown & Mary Beth Walker, 1992. "Stochastic specification in random production models of cost minimizing firms," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 92-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Amemiya, Takeshi & Powell, James L., 1981. "A comparison of the Box-Cox maximum likelihood estimator and the non-linear two-stage least squares estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 351-381, December.
- Thompson, Gary D., 1988. "Choice Of Flexible Functional Forms: Review And Appraisal," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(02), December.
- David Aadland & DeeVon Bailey, 2001. "Short-Run Supply Responses in the U.S. Beef-Cattle Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 826-839.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:95:y:2013:i:3:p:669-684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.