Monopoly Power and the FirmÂ€Ù³ Valuation:
Recent anti-trust cases exacerbated the concerns of investors regarding the effects of a firm's monopoly power on its production choice, shareholder value, and the overall economy. We address this issue within a dynamic equilibrium model featuring a large monopolistic firm whose actions not only affect the price of its output, but also effectively influence the valuation of its stock. The latter renders time inconsistency to the firm's dynamic production choice. When the firm is required to pre-commit to its strategy, the ensuing equilibrium is largely in line with the predictions of the textbook monopoly model. When the firm behaves in a time-consistent manner, however, the predictions are strikingly at odds. The trade-off between current profits and the valuation of future profits induces the firm to increase production beyond the competitive benchmark and cut prices. This policy may result in destroying shareholder value, and does indeed fully wipe out the firm's profit in the limit of the decision-making interval shrinking to zero, in line with the Coase conjecture.
|Date of creation:||09 Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT), SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, 50 MEMORIAL DRIVE CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS 02142 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 363-84, March.
- Pavlova, Anna & Rigobon, Roberto, 2004.
"Asset Prices and Exchange Rates,"
4322-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pavlova, Anna & Rigobon, Roberto, 2003. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," Working papers 4322-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Anna Pavlova & Roberto Rigobon, 2003. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 9834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Rigobon & Anna Pavlova, 2004. "Asset Prices and Exchange Rates," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 579, Econometric Society.
- Egbert Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 1998.
"The Price Normalization Problem in Imperfect Competition and the objective of the Firm,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1998-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Birgit Grodal & Egbert Dierker, 1999. "The price normalization problem in imperfect competition and the objective of the firm," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 257-284.
- Egbert Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 1996. "The Price Normalization Problem in Imperfect Competition and the Objective of the Firm," Discussion Papers 96-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Egbert DIERKER & Birgit GRODAL, 1996. "The Price Normalization Problem in Imperfect Competition and the Objective of the Firm," Vienna Economics Papers vie9616, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- JASKOLD GABSZEWICZ, Jean & VIAL, Jean-Philippe, .
"Oligopoly "à la Cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-106, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, Jean & Vial, Jean-Philippe, 1972. "Oligopoly "A la cournot" in a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 381-400, June.
- Suresh M. Sundaresan, 2000. "Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1569-1622, 08.
- Basak, Suleyman & Pavlova, Anna, 2002.
"Monopoly Power and the Firm's Valuation: A Dynamic Analysis of Short versus Long-Term Policies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3425, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Suleyman Basak & Anna Pavlova, 2004. "Monopoly power and the firm’s valuation: a dynamic analysis of short versus long-term policies," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 503-530, October.
- Basak, Suleyman & Pavlova, Anna, 2003. "Monopoly Power And The Firm'S Valuation: A Dynamic Analysis Of Short Versus Long-Term Policies," Working papers 4234-01, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Sundaresan, S.M., 2000. "Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment," Papers 00-03, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Bonanno, Giacomo, 1990. " General Equilibrium Theory with Imperfect Competition," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 297-328.
- Gene M. Grossman (ed.), 1992. "Imperfect Competition and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262570939, June.
- Palley, Thomas I., 1997. "Managerial turnover and the theory of short-termism," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 547-557, April.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M & Deneckere, Raymond J, 1989. "Reputation in Bargaining and Durable Goods Monopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 511-31, May.
- Grinblatt, Mark S & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "Market Power in a Securities Market with Endogenous Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1143-67, November.
- Suleyman Basak, 1997. "Consumption choice and asset pricing with a non-price-taking agent," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 437-462.
- Charles L. Schultze, 2003. "The Consumer Price Index: Conceptual Issues and Practical Suggestions," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 3-22, Winter.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Larry M. Ausubel & Raymond J. Deneckere, 1989. "Reputation in Bargaining and Durable Goods Monopoly," Levine's Working Paper Archive 201, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mit:sloanp:5421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.