Subcontracting dynamics and economic development: A study on textile and engineering industries
Recent studies on small and medium sized establishments emphasize the importance of networking and regional clusters for industrial development. This study is focused on an important form of cooperation between firms: subcontracting relationship. Our aim is to estimate the determinants of subcontracting in Turkish textile and engineering industries, and to derive policy implications of our estimates. We estimate subcontract offering and subcontract receiving models for both industries by using panel data on all establishments employing 25 or more workers in the period 1988-97. Our findings show that short-term/unequal relationship exists between parent firms and subcontractors in the textile industry whereas subcontracting relationships in the engineering industry are established between "similar", relatively advanced firms that have complementary assets and technologies.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2001|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ankara 06531|
Phone: +90 (312) 210 2003
Fax: (312) 210 1244
Web page: http://www.erc.metu.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel González & Benito Arruñada & Alberto Fernández, 1999.
"Causes of subcontracting: Evidence from panel data on construction firms,"
Economics Working Papers
428, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gonzalez-Diaz, Manuel & Arrunada, Benito & Fernandez, Alberto, 2000. "Causes of subcontracting: evidence from panel data on construction firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 167-187, June.
- Yossef Spiegel, 1993. "Horizontal Subcontracting," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(4), pages 570-590, Winter.
- Christerson, Brad & Appelbaum, Richard P., 1995. "Global and local subcontracting: Space, ethnicity, and the organization of apparel production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1363-1374, August.
- Richard Arena & Joël-Thomas Ravix & P.M Romani, 1992. "Firm, coopération and subcontracting," Post-Print halshs-00469059, HAL.
- A E Clarke, 1994. "Spatial Linkages and Subcontracting Relationships among High-Technology Industries in the Northeast Ohio Region," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 26(10), pages 1579-1603, October.
- A E Clarke, 1994. "Spatial linkages and subcontracting relationships among high-technology industries in the Northeast Ohio region," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 26(10), pages 1579-1603, October.
- Kelley, Maryellen R. & Harrison, Bennett, 1990. "The subcontracting behavior of single vs. multiplant enterprises in US manufacturing: Implications for economic development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(9), pages 1273-1294, September.
- Belderbos, Rene & Capannelli, Giovanni & Fukao, Kyoji, 2001. "Backward Vertical Linkages of Foreign Manufacturing Affiliates: Evidence from Japanese Multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 189-208, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:met:wpaper:0108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erol Taymaz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.