Additive Regression Splines With Irrelevant Categorical and Continuous Regressors
We consider the problem of estimating a relationship using semiparametric additive regression splines when there exist both continuous and categorical regressors, some of which are irrelevant but this is not known a priori. We show that choosing the spline degree, number of subintervals, and bandwidths via cross-validation can automatically remove irrelevant regressors, thereby delivering 'automatic dimension reduction without the need for pre-testing. Theoretical underpinnings are provided, finite-sample performance is studied, and an illustrative application demonstrates the efficacy of the proposed approach in finite-sample settings. An R package implementing the methods is available from the Comprehensive R Archive Network (Racine and Nie (2011)).
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- QI Li & Desheng Ouyang & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2013. "Categorical semiparametric varying‐coefficient models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4), pages 551-579, 06.
- Peter Hall & Qi Li & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2007. "Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Functions in the Presence of Irrelevant Regressors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 784-789, November.
- Raymond J. Carroll & Arnab Maity & Enno Mammen & Kyusang Yu, 2009. "Nonparametric additive regression for repeatedly measured data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(2), pages 383-398.
- Fan, Jianqing & Jiang, Jiancheng, 2005. "Nonparametric Inferences for Additive Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 890-907, September.
- Shujie Ma & Jeffrey S. Racine & Lijian Yang, 2015.
"Spline Regression in the Presence of Categorical Predictors,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(5), pages 705-717, 08.
- Shujie Ma & Jeffrey S. Racine & Lijian Yang, 2012. "Spline Regression in the Presence of Categorical Predictors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2012-06, McMaster University.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8355, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)