Technology Adoption and Pest Control Strategies Among UK Cereal Farmers: Evidence from Parametric and Nonparametric Count Data Models
This paper examines technology adoption and integrated pest management strategies employed by UK farmers, using both parametric and nonparametric methods. We employ a unique survey data set collected from UK cereal farmers to assess the determinants of technology adoption in relation to pest management. Our preferred model speciﬁcation is nonparametric which makes use of the recently developed methods of Li and Racine (2007) and Racine and Li (2004). These methods allow us to combine categorical and continuous data and thereby avoid sample splitting and resulting eﬃciency losses. Our analysis reveals that total area farmed is positively related to the number of technologies adopted, whereas age is negatively related. We also ﬁnd evidence of signiﬁcant statistical diﬀerences for number of adoptions by region across the UK.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 62 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0021-857X|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cowan, Robin & Gunby, Philip, 1996. "Sprayed to Death: Path Dependence, Lock-In and Pest Control Strategies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 521-542, May.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8355, June.
- Lohr, Luanne & Park, Timothy A., 2002. "Choice of insect management portfolios by organic farmers: lessons and comparative analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 87-99, November.
- Abadi Ghadim, Amir K. & Pannell, David J., 1999.
"A conceptual framework of adoption of an agricultural innovation,"
Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 145-154, October.
- Ghadim, Amir K. Abadi & Pannell, David J., 1999. "A conceptual framework of adoption of an agricultural innovation," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(2), October.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeff & Stengos, Thanasis, 2007. "Growth and convergence: A profile of distribution dynamics and mobility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 483-508, February.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeff, 2006. "Growth And Convergence: A Profile Of Distribution Dynamics And Mobility," Departmental Working Papers 0605, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Ali Chalak & Kelvin Balcombe & Alastair Bailey & Iain Fraser, 2008. "Pesticides, Preference Heterogeneity and Environmental Taxes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 537-554, 09.
- Bailey, Alastair & Bertaglia, Marco & Fraser, Iain & Sharma, Abhijit & Douarin, Elodie, 2009. "Integrated Pest Management Portfolios in UK Arable Farming: Results of a Farmer Survey," MPRA Paper 14764, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter Hall & Qi Li & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2007. "Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Functions in the Presence of Irrelevant Regressors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 784-789, November.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 1996. "The Microeconomic Impact Of Ipm Adoption: Theory And Application," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 1996. "The Microeconomic Impact of IPM Adoption: Theory and Application," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 149-160, October.
- Hayfield, Tristen & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2008. "Nonparametric Econometrics: The np Package," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 27(i05).
- Abdulai, Awudu & Huffman, Wallace, 2007. "The Diffusion of New Agricultural Technologies: The Case of Crossbreeding Technology in Tanzania," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12785, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Min, Insik & Fang, Cheng & Li, Qi, 2004. "Investigation of patterns in food-away-from-home expenditure for China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 457-476.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Kim, Seon-Ae & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Paudel, Krishna P., 2005. "Count Data Analysis of the Adoption of Best Management Practices in Beef Cattle Production," 2005 Annual Meeting, February 5-9, 2005, Little Rock, Arkansas 35603, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-298, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)