Buy-it-Now Prices in eBay Auctions-The Field in the Lab
This article is an experimental investigation on decision making in online auction markets. We focus on a widely used format, the Buy-It-Now auction on eBay, where sellers post prices at which buyers can purchase a good prior to an auction. Even though, buyer behavior is well studied in Buy-It-Now auctions, up to date little is known about the behavior of sellers. In this article, we study how sellers set Buy-It-Now prices by combining the use of a real online auction market (the eBay platform and eBay traders) with the techniques of lab experiments. We find a striking relation between information about agents provided by eBay and their behavior. Information about buyers is correlated with their deviation from true value bidding. Sellers respond strategically to this information when deciding on their Buy-It-Now prices. Our results highlight consequences of information publicly available in (online) markets and underline the crucial role of institutional details.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP 8888, succursale Centre-Ville, Montréal, QC H3C 3P8|
Phone: (514) 987-8161
Web page: http://www.cirpee.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bulow, Jeremy I. & Klemperer, Paul, 1994.
"Auctions vs. Negotiations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
924, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dan Ariely & Axel Ockenfels & Alvin E. Roth, 2005.
"An Experimental Analysis of Ending Rules in Internet Auctions,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(4), pages 890-907, Winter.
- Dan Ariely & Axel Ockenfels & Alvin E. Roth, 2003. "An Experimental Analysis of Ending Rules in Internet Auctions," CESifo Working Paper Series 987, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dan Ariely & Axel Ockenfels & Alvin E. Roth, 2002. "An Experimental Analysis of Ending Rules in Internet Auctions," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2002-47, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Roth, Alvin & Ockenfels, Axel & Ariely, Dan, 2005. "An Experimental Analysis of Ending Rules in Internet Auctions," Scholarly Articles 2579649, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Dan Ariely & Axel Ockenfels & Alvin E Roth, 2003. "An Experimental Analysis of Ending Rules in Internet Auctions," Levine's Bibliography 506439000000000433, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Isaac, R Mark & James, Duncan, 2000. "Just Who Are You Calling Risk Averse?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 177-87, March.
- Garratt, Rod & Walker, Mark & Wooders, John, 2004.
"Behavior in Second-Price Auctions by Highly Experienced eBay Buyers and Sellers,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt7s72r56p, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Rodney Garratt & Mark Walker & John Wooders, 2012. "Behavior in second-price auctions by highly experienced eBay buyers and sellers," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 44-57, March.
- Robert F. Easley & Rafael Tenorio, 2004. "Jump Bidding Strategies in Internet Auctions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(10), pages 1407-1419, October.
- Alvin E. Roth & Axel Ockenfels, 2002.
"Last-Minute Bidding and the Rules for Ending Second-Price Auctions: Evidence from eBay and Amazon Auctions on the Internet,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1093-1103, September.
- Alvin E. Roth & Axel Ockenfels, . "Last-Minute Bidding and the Rules for Ending Second-Price Auctions: Evidence from eBay and Amazon Auctions on the Internet," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2002-32, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Cotton, Christopher, 2007.
"Multiple-bidding in auctions as bidders become confident of their private valuations,"
1844, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cotton, Christopher, 2009. "Multiple bidding in auctions as bidders become confident of their private valuations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(3), pages 148-150, September.
- Christopher Cotton, 2008. "Multiple-bidding in auctions as bidders become confident of their private valuations," Working Papers 0902, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Tanjim Hossain, 2008. "Learning by bidding," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(2), pages 509-529.
- Xin Wang & Alan Montgomery & Kannan Srinivasan, 2008. "When auction meets fixed price: a theoretical and empirical examination of buy-it-now auctions," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 339-370, December.
- Selten, Reinhard & Joachim Buchta, 1994. "Experimental Sealed Bid First Price Auctions with Directly Observed Bid Functions," Discussion Paper Serie B 270, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Ginger Zhe Jin & Andrew Kato, 2006. "Price, quality, and reputation: evidence from an online field experiment," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 983-1005, December.
- Jérémie Gallien & Shobhit Gupta, 2007. "Temporary and Permanent Buyout Prices in Online Auctions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 814-833, May.
- Anna Dodonova & Yuri Khoroshilov, 2004. "Anchoring and transaction utility: evidence from on-line auctions," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 307-310.
- Durham Yvonne & Roelofs Matthew R & Standifird Stephen S, 2004. "eBay's Buy-It-Now Function: Who, When, and How," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-24, October.
- Jeffrey C. Ely & Tanjim Hossain, 2009.
"Sniping and Squatting in Auction Markets,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 68-94, August.
- Stanley Reynolds & John Wooders, 2009.
"Auctions with a buy price,"
Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 9-39, January.
- John Wooders & Stanley S. Reynolds, 2004. "Auctions with a Buy Price," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 130, Econometric Society.
- Resnick, Paul & Zeckhauser, Richard & Swanson, John & Lockwood, Kate, 2003.
"The Value of Reputation on eBay: A Controlled Experiment,"
Working Paper Series
rwp03-007, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Paul Resnick & Richard Zeckhauser & John Swanson & Kate Lockwood, 2006. "The value of reputation on eBay: A controlled experiment," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 79-101, June.
- Uri Simonsohn & Dan Ariely, 2008. "When Rational Sellers Face Nonrational Buyers: Evidence from Herding on eBay," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(9), pages 1624-1637, September.
- Radosveta Ivanova-Stenzel & Sabine Kroger, 2005.
"Price Formation in a Sequential Selling Mechanism,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Ivanova-Stenzel, Radosveta & Kröger, Sabine, 2005. "Price formation in a sequential selling mechanism," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 92, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Axel Ockenfels & Alvin E. Roth, 2003.
"Late and Multiple Bidding in Second Price Internet Auctions: Theory and Evidence Concerning Different Rules for Ending an Auction,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
992, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ockenfels, Axel & Roth, Alvin E., 2006. "Late and multiple bidding in second price Internet auctions: Theory and evidence concerning different rules for ending an auction," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 297-320, May.
- Steven Anderson & Daniel Friedman & Garrett Milam & Nirvikar Singh, 2004.
"Buy it Now: A Hybrid Internet Market Institution,"
- Anderson, Steve & Friedman, Daniel & Milam, Garrett & Singh, Nirvikar, 2004. "Buy it Now: A Hybrid Internet Market Institution," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt21d715v9, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Edieal J. Pinker & Abraham Seidmann & Yaniv Vakrat, 2003. "Managing Online Auctions: Current Business and Research Issues," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(11), pages 1457-1484, November.
- Shunda, Nicholas, 2009.
"Auctions with a buy price: The case of reference-dependent preferences,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 645-664, November.
- Nicholas Shunda, 2007. "Auctions with a Buy Price: The Case of Reference-Dependent Preferences," Working papers 2007-42, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Rasmusen Eric Bennett, 2006.
"Strategic Implications of Uncertainty over One's Own Private Value in Auctions,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22, November.
- Eric Rasmusen, 2004. "Strategic Implications of Uncertainty Over One’s Own Private Value in Auctions," Working Papers 2004-13, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Eric B. Rasmusen, 2001. "Starategic Implications of Uncertainty Over One's Own Private Value in Auctions," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-127, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- Peeters, Ronald & Strobel, Martin & Vermeulen, Dries & Walzl, Markus, 2007. "The impact of the irrelevant : temporary buy-options and bidding behavior in online auctions," Research Memorandum 027, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Timothy Mathews & Brett Katzman, 2006. "The role of varying risk attitudes in an auction with a buyout option," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 597-613, 04.
- René Kirkegaard, 2006. "A short proof of the Bulow-Klemperer auctions vs. negotiations result," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 449-452, 06.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas & Charles A. Wood, 2008. "The Sound of Silence in Online Feedback: Estimating Trading Risks in the Presence of Reporting Bias," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(3), pages 460-476, March.
- Timothy Mathews, 2004. "The Impact of Discounting on an Auction with a Buyout Option: a Theoretical Analysis Motivated by eBay’s Buy-It-Now Feature," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 81(1), pages 25-52, 01.
- repec:cdl:ucscec:28348 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:lacicr:0950. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.