Production Cost Asymmetry, Minimum Access and Reciprocal Dumping
In this article we propose a bilateral dumping model in which the minimum access level is endogenous. Regions compete with one another using Cournot conjectures and engage in interregional dumping as in Brander and Krugman’s (1983) reciprocal dumping model. International trade is hindered by restrictive Tariff rate Quota (TRQs). The model features two regions and one product. We derive the conditions under which it is optimal to observe interregional trade and those under which trade does not exist. The results show that the world price and the difference in production costs between regions play an important role in determining whether bilateral trade exists. In the presence of bilateral trade, the region with the largest market size will obtain the largest share of import volumes permitted under the minimum access system while in the absence of interregional trade, the distribution of import permits between regions will also depends on the product cost asymmetry. When only the most efficient region exports to the least efficient region, production costs asymmetry, transaction costs and world price level determine whether the smaller or larger region obtains the larger share of product import allowed under minimum access commitment. In all cases, we show that in a country like Canada, creation of “artificial barriers” to interprovincial trade of products under supply management system lowers the welfare of at least one of the regions, along with the global welfare.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 418-656-2131 poste 5098
Web page: http://www.create.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kathy Baylis & Hartley Furtan, 2003. "Free-Riding on Federalism: Trade Protection and the Canadian Dairy Industry," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(2), pages 145-161, June.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999.
"Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20408, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999. "Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 121-139, January.
- Andreas Haufler & Ian Wooton, . "Country Size and Tax Competition for Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 9702, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- NEARY, J. Peter & THARAKAN, Joe, .
"International trade with endogenous mode of competition in general equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2430, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Neary, J. Peter & Tharakan, Joe, 2012. "International trade with endogenous mode of competition in general equilibrium," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 118-132.
- NEARY, J. Peter & THARAKAN, Joe, 2011. "International trade with endogenous mode of competition in general equilibrium," CORE Discussion Papers 2011038, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter Neary & Joe Tharakan, 2011. "International Trade with Endogenous Mode of Competition in General Equilibrium," CREPP Working Papers 1111, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Kamal Saggi & Halis Murat Yildiz, 2011.
"Bilateral Trade Agreements and the Feasibility of Multilateral Free Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 356-373, 05.
- Saggi, Kamal & Yildiz, Halis Murat, 2008. "Bilateral trade agreements and the feasibility of multilateral free trade," MPRA Paper 17561, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Jun 2009.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983.
"A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," Working Papers 513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980. "A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade," Working Papers 405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Pouliot, Sebastien & Larue, Bruno, 2012.
"Import Sensitive Products and Perverse Tariff-Rate Quota Liberalization,"
Staff General Research Papers
34570, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sébastien Pouliot & Bruno Larue, 2012. "Import sensitive products and perverse tariff-rate quota liberalization," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(3), pages 903-924, August.
- Maggi, Giovanni & Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 2000.
"Import penetration and the politics of trade protection,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 287-304, August.
- Giovanni Maggi & Andres Rodriguez-Clare, 1998. "Import Peneteration and the Politics of Trade Protection," NBER Working Papers 6711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Competition and Wage Inequality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Bharat R. Hazari & Eden S. H. Yu, 2010. "Quotas, Spillovers, and the Transfer Paradox in an Economy with Tourism," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 243-249, 05.
- Liang, Wen-Jung & Hwang, Hong & Mai, Chao-Cheng, 2006. "Spatial discrimination: Bertrand vs. Cournot with asymmetric demands," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 790-802, November.
- J. Peter Neary, 2003. "Presidential Address: Globalization and Market Structure," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(2-3), pages 245-271, 04/05.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais & Harvey E. Lapan, 2001.
"Optimal Production Tax and Quota under Time Consistent Trade Policies,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 921-933.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Lapan, Harvey E., 2001. "Optimal Production Tax and Quota Under Time Consistent Trade Policies," Staff General Research Papers 5049, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hartley Furtom & Johannes Sauer & Maria Jensen, 2009. "Free-riding on rent seeking—an empirical analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 479-500, September.
- Hartley Furtan & Johannes Sauer & Maria Jensen, 2009. "Free-riding on rent seeking—an empirical analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 501-501, September.
- Lambert, Remy, 2012. "A Primer on the Economics of Supply Management and Food Supply Chains," Working Papers 125246, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:creacr:2013-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.