Fits and Misfits : Technological Matching and R & D Networks
This paper presents an economic model of R&D network formation through the creation of strategic alliances. Firms are randomly endowed with knowledge elements. They base their alliance decisions purely on the technological fit of potential part- ners, ignoring social capital considerations and indirect benefits on the network. This is sucient to generate equilibrium networks with the small world properties of ob- served alliance networks, namely short pairwise distances and local clustering. The equilibrium networks are more clustered than "comparable" random graphs, while they have similar characteristic path length. Two extreme regimes of competition are examined, to show that while the competition has a quantitative e ect on the equilibrium networks (density is lower with competition), the small world features of the equilibrium networks are preserved.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 162a avenue de la Faïencerie, L-1511 Luxembourg|
Phone: (+352) 46 66 44
Fax: (+352) 46 66 44 ext 633
Web page: http://wwwen.uni.lu/research/fdef/crea
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 2000.
"Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9952-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Carayol, Nicolas & Roux, Pascale, 2009.
"Knowledge flows and the geography of networks: A strategic model of small world formation,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 414-427, August.
- Nicolas Carayol & Pascale Roux, 2009. "Knowledge Flows and the Geography of Networks. A Strategic Model of Small World Formation," Post-Print hal-00674100, HAL.
- Pascale Roux & Nicolas Carayol, 2009. "Knowledge flows and the geography of networks. A strategic model of small world formation," Post-Print hal-00390685, HAL.
- Nicolas Carayol & Pascale Roux, 2006. "Knowledge flows and the geography of networks. A strategic model of small worlds formation," Working Papers of BETA 2006-16, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco J. van der Leij & José Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2006.
"Economics: An Emerging Small World,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(2), pages 403-432, April.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga Gonzales, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1287, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga-Gonzàlez, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," Working Papers 2004.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & Jose Luis Moraga, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-001/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sumit Joshi, 2000.
"Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0623, Econometric Society.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Sumit Joshi, 2006. "Unequal connections," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 34(3), pages 319-349, October.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
- Galeotti, Andrea & Goyal, Sanjeev & Kamphorst, Jurjen, 2003.
"Network Formation with Heterogeneous Players,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2996, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Rogers, Brian W., 2005.
"The economics of small worlds,"
1214, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Francis Bloch, 1995. "Endogenous Structures of Association in Oligopolies," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(3), pages 537-556, Autumn.
- Joshi, Sumit, 2008. "Endogenous formation of coalitions in a model of a race," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 62-85, January.
- Balconi, Margherita & Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2004. "Networks of inventors and the role of academia: an exploration of Italian patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-145, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:luc:wpaper:09-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisa Ferreira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.