Where Have All the Flowers Gone? Coase Theorem Failures in English Summer Cultural Events: The Case of Sidmouth International Festival
After 50 years of artistic and popular acclaim, the world-famous Sidmouth Festival collapsed in 2004. Its management was unable to secure bad-weather underwriting worth £200,000, despite an alleged £5 million Festival contribution to the local economy. In examining the reasons for this failure, we look at questions such as positive and negative externalities, ideological differences between Festival visitors and local residents, heterogeneous character of the local businesses, rural-or-urban and one-company versus multi-firm nature of festivals, incredible claims, emotions in economics, moral hazard, path dependence, and management mistakes. We argue that the only realistic way forward includes Festival supporters making financial contributions commensurate with their respective financial interests or artistic commitment, and their contributions giving these supporters full ownership rights.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Management School University of Liverpool, Chatham Street, Liverpool, L69 7ZH, Great Britain|
Phone: +44(0)151 795 3108
Fax: +44(0)151 795 3004
Web page: http://www.liv.ac.uk/management/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A J Scott, 1999.
"The US recorded music industry: on the relations between organization, location, and creativity in the cultural economy,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(11), pages 1965-1984, November.
- A J Scott, 1999. "The US Recorded Music Industry: On the Relations between Organization, Location, and Creativity in the Cultural Economy," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 31(11), pages 1965-1984, November.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard, 1986. "Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Entitlements in the Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 728-41, September.
- Pascal Courty, 2003. "Some Economics of Ticket Resale," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 85-97, Spring.
- Farrell, Joseph, 1987.
"Information and the Coase Theorem,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 113-29, Fall.
- Joseph Farrell., 1987. "Information and the Coase Theorem," Economics Working Papers 8747, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph, 1987. "Information and the Coase Theorem," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1sc2r800, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Alan Richards & Nirvikar Singh, 2004. "No Easy Exit: Property Rights, Markets, and Negotiations over Water," Development and Comp Systems 0412011, EconWPA.
- Samuelson, Paul, 1995. "Some uneasiness with the Coase Theorem," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-7, May.
- Usher, Dan, 1998. "The Coase theorem is tautological, incoherent or wrong," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 3-11, October.
- Jung, Chulho & Krutilla, Kerry & Kip Viscusi, W. & Boyd, Roy, 1995. "The coase theorem in rent-seeking society," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 259-268, September.
- Henry Hansmann, 1981. "Nonprofit Enterprise in the Performing Arts," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 341-361, Autumn.
- Mark LeClair & Kelly Gordon, 2000. "Corporate Support for Artistic and Cultural Activities: What Determines the Distribution of Corporate Giving?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 24(3), pages 225-241, August.
- Becker, Gary S, 1991.
"A Note on Restaurant Pricing and Other Examples of Social Influences on Price,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 1109-16, October.
- Gary S. Becker, 1991. "A Note on Restaurant Pricing and Other Examples of Social Influences on Price," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 67, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Ricardo Gazel & R. Schwer, 1997. "Beyond Rock and Roll: The Economic Impact of the Grateful Dead on a Local Economy," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 21(1), pages 41-55, March.
- John O'Hagan & Denice Harvey, 2000. "Why Do Companies Sponsor Arts Events? Some Evidence and a Proposed Classification," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 24(3), pages 205-224, August.
- Jon Elster, 1998. "Emotions and Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 47-74, March.
- Alexander R. W. Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2002.
"Costly Enforcement of Property Rights and the Coase Theorem,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
762, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alex Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2008. "Costly enforcement of property rights and the Coase theorem," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 36(1), pages 109-128, July.
- Alex Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2005. "Costly Enforcement of Property Rights and the Coase Theorem," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2005-455, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Jane Bryan & Steve Hill & Max Munday & Annette Roberts, 2000. "Assessing the role of the arts and cultural industries in a local economy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(8), pages 1391-1408, August.
- Jonathan Gander & Alison Rieple, 2004. "How Relevant is Transaction Cost Economics to Inter-Firm Relationships in the Music Industry?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 28(1), pages 57-79, February.
- J.D. Snowball & G.G. Antrobus, 2001. "Measuring The Value Of The Arts To Society: The Importance Of The Value Of Externalities For Lower Income And Education Groups In South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 69(4), pages 752-766, December.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Kask, Susan B., 1992. "Exploring the boundaries of the Coase theorem : Efficiency and rationality given imperfect contract enforcement," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 155-161, June.
- W.B. Beyers, 2002. "Culture, Services and Regional Development," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 4-34, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:liv:livedp:200406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Blackman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.