China's International Competitiveness: Reassessing the Evidence
In this paper we argue that export data are an inadequate tool to measure a country's international competitiveness when external trade is dominated by export-processing trade. Export data do not necessarily reflect the value produced in an exporting country, but rather capture the gross value of the products that leave a country's ports. We demonstrate that, in the case of China, this leads to an upward bias in both the perceived quantitative and qualitative threats to the Western economies.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven|
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008.
"Specialization across varieties and North-South competition,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007. "Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition," Working Papers 2007-06, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008. "Specialization across varieties and North-South competition," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270494, HAL.
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2010. "Electronics production upgrading: is China exceptional?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 477-482.
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2007. "Electronics Production Upgrading: Is China Exceptional?," Working Papers 200722, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2007. "Electronics Production Upgrading: Is China Exceptional?," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-16, CIRANO.
- Byron Gangnes & Ari Van Assche, 2008. "China and the Future of Asian Electronics Trade," CIRANO Working Papers 2008s-05, CIRANO.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004. "China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), "undated". "China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?," QEH Working Papers qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2006. "Why is China so Competitive? Measuring and Explaining China's Competitiveness," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 95-122, 02.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2004. "Why Is China So Competitive? Measuring and Explaining China’s Competitiveness," Working Papers 07-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- F. Gerard Adams & Byron Gangnes & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2004. "Why Is China So Competitive? Measuring and Explaining China’s Competitiveness," Working Papers 200406, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Peter K. Schott, 2008. "The relative sophistication of Chinese exports," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 5-49, 01.
- Peter K. Schott, 2006. "The Relative Sophistication of Chinese Exports," NBER Working Papers 12173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Naughton, 2007. "The Chinese Economy: Transitions and Growth," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262640643, July.
- Abraham, Filip & Konings, Jozef & Slootmaekers, Veerle, 2007. "FDI Spillovers in the Chinese Manufacturing Sector: Evidence of firm heterogeneity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6573, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ph. Monfort & Hylke Vandenbussche & E. Forlani, 2008. "Chinese Competition and Skill-Upgrading in European Textiles: Firm-level Evidence," LICOS Discussion Papers 19808, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lic:licosd:20508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.