Electronics production upgrading: is China exceptional?
In this article, we make use of a unique world electronics production dataset to assess China's upgrading trajectory in the global electronics industry. Contrary to existing trade studies, we find no evidence that China's electronics production activities are more sophisticated than one would expect from its level of development. We also find little evidence that China is rapidly upgrading into more sophisticated production activities.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006.
"Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,"
NBER Working Papers
12721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"What's So Special about China's Exports?,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Peter K. Schott, 2008.
"The relative sophistication of Chinese exports,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 5-49, 01.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Carl Bonham & Byron Gangnes & Ari Van Assche, 2004.
"Fragmentation and East Asia’s Information Technology Trade,"
200409, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Carl Bonham & Byron Gangnes & Ari Van Assche, 2007. "Fragmentation and East Asia's information technology trade," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 215-228.
- Salvatore Baldone & Fabio Sdogati & Lucia Tajoli, 2007.
"On Some Effects of International Fragmentation of Production on Comparative Advantages, Trade Flows and the Income of Countries,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(11), pages 1726-1769, November.
- Salvatore Baldone & Fabio Sdogati & Lucia Tajoli, 2006. "On some effects of international fragmentation of production on comparative advantages, trade flows, and the income of countries," KITeS Working Papers 187, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2006.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Weiss, John & Zhang, Jinkang, 2006. "The "sophistication" of exports: A new trade measure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 222-237, February.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2005. "China’s Integration in East Asia: Production Sharing, FDI & High-Tech Trade," Working Papers 2005-09, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:17:y:2010:i:5:p:477-482. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.