Wage Gradients in an Enlarged EU
In this paper we estimate a sectoral real wage equation for three regional blocs of the enlarged EU that we defined as North (wealthiest EU), South (Greece, Portugal and Spain) and East (acceding Central and Eastern European countries). The estimation results show that real wages react differently in each of the blocs to the impact of market size, location and factor endowments across a range of industrial sectors which differ by their degrees of economies of scale and skill-intensities in the presence of transport costs.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU|
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanson, Gordon H, 1997. "Increasing Returns, Trade and the Regional Structure of Wages," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 113-133, January.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"Economic Geography and International Inequality,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," International Trade 0103003, EconWPA.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic geography and international inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2000. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henry Overman & Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"The Economic Geography of Trade, Production, and Income: A Survey of Empirics,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0508, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Overman, Henry G & Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2001. "The Economic Geography of Trade Production and Income: A Survey of Empirics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2978, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henry G. Overman & Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The economic geography of trade, production, and income: a survey of empirics," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3712, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- H. Hanson, Gordon, 2005.
"Market potential, increasing returns and geographic concentration,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Hanson, G.H., 1999. "`Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration," Working Papers 439, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998. "Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration," NBER Working Papers 6429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary L. Hunt & Richard E. Mueller, 2002. "A Methodology for Estimating Returns to Skills for Canadian Provinces and U.S. States," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 127-143.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003.
"Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000. "Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, R.E. & Forslid, R. & Haaland, J.I. & Knarvik, K.H.M., 2000. "EU Integration and Outsiders. A Simulation Study of industrial Location," Papers 2/2000, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2002. "Human capital and wages: evidence for external effects from the UK regions," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(13), pages 843-846.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lbo:lbowps:2003_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.