Consumption and Savings of First Time House Owners: How Do They Deal with Adverse Income Shocks?
We characterize savings behavior around the point of the first house purchase. Using a panel data set with income and wealth information on Danish first-time house owners we document that households save for the down payment, mortgage to the limit, run down liquid assets at purchase, and adjust to adverse income shocks occurring just after the purchase by reducing consumption. We build a model that replicates these observations, show that the preference parameters are identified from the data, and estimate them. Based on the estimated model house buying significantly reduces the ability to smooth adverse income shocks.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (45) 35 32 30 74
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/CAM/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Jonathan A. Parker, 2002.
"Consumption Over the Life Cycle,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 47-89, January.
- Gourinchas, P.O. & Parker, J.A., 1997. "Consumption Over the Life Cycle," Working papers 9722, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Jonathan A. Parker, 1999. "Consumption Over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 7271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Parker, Jonathan A, 2000. "Consumption Over the Life-Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ortalo-Magne, Francois & Rady, Sven, 2002. "Tenure choice and the riskiness of non-housing consumption," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 266-279, September.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Zoë Oldfield & James P. Smith, 2016. "House Price Volatility and the Housing Ladder," NBER Chapters, in: Insights in the Economics of Aging, pages 87-119 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Zoe Oldfield & James P. Smith, 2010. "House Price Volatility and the Housing Ladder," Working Papers 786, RAND Corporation.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Zoé Oldfield & James P. Smith, 2015. "House Price Volatility and the Housing Ladder," NBER Working Papers 21255, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banks, James & Blundell, Richard & Oldfield, Zoë & Smith, James P., 2010. "House Price Volatility and the Housing Ladder," IZA Discussion Papers 5173, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).