On the accuracy of the probability method for quantifying beliefs about inflation
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Lahiri, Kajal, 1992. "A Comparative Study of Alternative Methods of Quantifying Qualitative Survey Responses Using NAPM Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 391-400, October.
- Jonung, Lars & Laidler, David E, 1988.
"Are Perceptions of Inflation Rational? Some Evidence for Sweden,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1080-1087, December.
- Jonung, L. & Laidler, D., 1988. "Are Perceptions Of Inflation Rational? Some Evidence For Sweden," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8808, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Jeremy & McAleer, Michael, 1995.
"Alternative Procedures for Converting Qualitative Response Data to Quantitative Expectations: An Application to Australian Manufacturing,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 165-185, April-Jun.
- McAleer, M. & Smith, J., 1990. "Alternative Procedures for Converting Qualitative Response Data to Quantitative Expectations: An Application to Australian Manufacturing," Papers 219, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Jan Marc Berk, 1999. "Measuring inflation expectations: a survey data approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1467-1480.
- Batchelor, R. A., 1981. "Aggregate expectations under the stable laws," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 199-210, June.
- Wioletta Dziuda & Giovanni Mastrobuoni, 2009.
"The Euro Changeover and Its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 101-129, February.
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni & Wioletta Dziuda, 2005. "The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 26, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Ehrmann, Michael, 2006. "Rational inattention, inflation developments and perceptions after the euro cash changeover," Working Paper Series 588, European Central Bank.
- Lamla, Michael J. & Lein, Sarah M., 2014.
"The role of media for consumers’ inflation expectation formation,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 62-77.
- Michael J. Lamla & Sarah M. Lein, 2008. "The Role of Media for Consumers' Inflation Expectation Formation," KOF Working papers 08-201, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Sarah M. Lein & Thomas Maag, 2011.
"The Formation Of Inflation Perceptions: Some Empirical Facts For European Countries,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 58(2), pages 155-188, May.
- Sarah M. Lein & Thomas Maag, 2008. "The Formation of Inflation Perceptions - Some Empirical Facts for European Countries," KOF Working papers 08-204, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Steffen Henzel & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2006. "Quantifying Inflation Expectations with the Carlson-Parkin Method: A Survey-based Determination of the Just Noticeable Difference," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing, Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2005(3), pages 321-352.
- Defris, L. V. & Williams, R. A., 1979. "Quantitative versus qualitative measures of price expectations: The evidence from Australian consumer surveys," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 169-173.
- Magnus Forsells & Geoff Kenny, 2004. "Survey Expectations, Rationality and the Dynamics of Euro Area Inflation," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing, Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2004(1), pages 13-41.
- Manfred Fluch & Helmut Stix, 2007. "The Development of Euro Prices – Subjective Perception and Empirical Facts," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 55-84.
- Michela Nardo, 2003. "The Quantification of Qualitative Survey Data : A Critical Assessment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 645-668, December.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Teigland, Christie, 1987. "On the normality of probability distributions of inflation and GNP forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 269-279.
- Batchelor, Roy A & Orr, Adrian B, 1988. "Inflation Expectations Revisited," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 55(219), pages 317-331, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lena Draeger & Michael J. Lamla, 2015.
"Disagreement à la Taylor: Evidence from Survey Microdata,"
KOF Working papers
15-380, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Lena Dräger & Michael J. Lamla, 2015. "Disagreement à la Taylor: Evidence from Survey Microdata," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 201503, University of Hamburg, Department of Socioeconomics.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2017.
"What has publishing inflation forecasts accomplished? Central banks and their competitors,"
CAMA Working Papers
2017-33, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2018. "What has publishing inflation forecasts accomplished? Central banks and their competitors," CAMA Working Papers 2018-07, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Siklos, Pierre, 2017. "What Has Publishing Inflation Forecasts Accomplished? Central Banks And Their Competitors," LCERPA Working Papers 0098, Laurier Centre for Economic Research and Policy Analysis, revised 01 Apr 2017.
- Oscar Claveria & Enric Monte & Salvador Torra, 2017.
"Let the data do the talking: Empirical modelling of survey-based expectations by means of genetic programming,"
IREA Working Papers
201711, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised May 2017.
- Oscar Claveria & Enric Monte & Salvador Torra, 2017. "“Let the data do the talking: Empirical modelling of survey-based expectations by means of genetic programming”," AQR Working Papers 201706, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised May 2017.
- Maurizio Bovi, 2016. "The tale of two expectations," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 50(6), pages 2677-2705, November.
- Michael J. Lamla & Thomas Maag, 2012.
"The Role of Media for Inflation Forecast Disagreement of Households and Professional Forecasters,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44(7), pages 1325-1350, October.
- Thomas Maag & Michael J. Lamla, 2009. "The role of media for inflation forecast disagreement of households and professional forecasters," KOF Working papers 09-223, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Breitung, Jörg & Schmeling, Maik, 2013.
"Quantifying survey expectations: What’s wrong with the probability approach?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 142-154.
- Breitung, Jörg & Schmeling, Maik, 2011. "Quantifying survey expectations: What's wrong with the probability approach?," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-485, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- repec:spr:qualqt:v:51:y:2017:i:6:d:10.1007_s11135-016-0416-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lena Dräger & Jan-Oliver Menz & Ulrich Fritsche, 2014. "Perceived inflation under loss aversion," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(3), pages 282-293, January.
- Maurizio Bovi, 2014. "Shocks and the Expectations Formation Process. A Tale of Two Expectations," Natural Field Experiments 00390, The Field Experiments Website.
- Kajal Lahiri & Yongchen Zhao, 2013. "Quantifying Heterogeneous Survey Expectations: The Carlson-Parkin Method Revisited," Discussion Papers 13-08, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsQuantification; Inflation expectations; Inflation perceptions; Qualitative response data; Belief formation;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-08-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2009-08-02 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2009-08-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-08-02 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:09-230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/koethch.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.