The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation
Despite the expectations of economists that the euro changeover would have no effect on prices, we show that European consumers perceived the contrary. The data indicate that consumers based their perceptions about inflation on goods that are cheaper and more frequently purchased. We use this insight to develop and estimate a model of imperfect information that explains why these goods were subject to higher price growth after the changeover. The data indicate that some retailers, aware of the consumers' diffculties in adopting the new currency, used the changeover to increase profits by increasing prices. We also propose an explanation of why this effect was smaller in more concentrated retail markets.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.carloalberto.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giancarlo Marini & Fabrizio Adriani & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2003.
"The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide,"
CEIS Research Paper
27, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Giancarlo Marini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2004. "The Inflationary Consequences Of A Currency Changeover: Evidence From The Michelin Red Guide," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 45, Royal Economic Society.
- Paolo Del Giovane & Roberto Sabbatini, 2004. "Lï¿½introduzione dellï¿½euro e la divergenza tra infl azione rilevata e percepita," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 532, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gaiotti, Eugenio & Lippi, Francesco, 2005.
"Pricing Behaviour and the Introduction of the Euro: Evidence from a Panel of Restaurants,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eugenio Gaiotti & Francesco Lippi, 2005. "Pricing behavior and the introduction of the euro: evidence from a panel of restaurants," Macroeconomics 0501029, EconWPA, revised 15 Feb 2005.
- Steven C. Salop & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1977.
"Bargains and ripoffs: a model of monopolistically competitive price dispersion,"
Special Studies Papers
94, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Salop, Steven & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Bargains and Ripoffs: A Model of Monopolistically Competitive Price Dispersion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 493-510, October.
- Luis J. Álvarez & Ignacio Hernando, 2006. "Competition and price adjustment in the euro area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0629, Banco de Espa�a.
- Marco G. Ercolani & Jayasri Dutta, 2006. "The Euro-changeoverand Euro-inflation: Evidence from Eurostat's HICP," Discussion Papers 06-03, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Sabbatini, Roberto (ed.), 2007. "Pricing Decisions in the Euro Area: How Firms Set Prices and Why," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195309287.
- Bart Hobijn & Andrea Tanbalotti & Federico Ravenna, 2005.
"Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro,"
2005 Meeting Papers
659, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2006. "Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(3), pages 1103-1131, 08.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2004. "Menu costs at work: restaurant prices and the introduction of the euro," Staff Reports 195, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Paolo Angelini & Francesco Lippi, 2006.
"Did inflation really soar after the euro cash changeover? Indirect evidence from ATM withdrawals,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
581, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Angelini, Paolo & Lippi, Francesco, 2005. "Did Inflation Really Soar After the Euro Cash Changeover? Indirect Evidence from ATM Withdrawals," CEPR Discussion Papers 4950, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luc Aucremann & David Cornille, 2001. "Attractive prices and euro-rounding effects on inflation," Working Paper Document 17, National Bank of Belgium.
- repec:nbb:docwpp:200111 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aucremanne, L. & Cornille, D., 2001. "Attractive Prices and Euro-Rounding Effects on Inflation," Papers 17, Warwick - Development Economics Research Centre.
- Franco Mostacci & Roberto Sabbatini, 2003. "L 'euro ha creato inflazione? Changeover e arrotondamenti dei prezzi al consumo in Italia nel 2002," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 56(221), pages 45-95.
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cca:wpaper:26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.