Price setting behaviour and price setting regulations at the euro changeover
This paper documents that the impact of the euro changeover in January 2002 on prices was not uniform across the 12 participating countries. There are countries where prices increased significantly, but there are also countries where price-setting behaviour during the changeover does not appear to be very different from other points in time. This paper argues that the above difference can be explained by looking at the way countries regulated price setting during the changeover, and that any impact of the changeover could have been avoided with appropriate regulations. The gap between the actual and the perceived impact is addressed and policy recommendations for future changeovers are provided
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:||12 Oct 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bankofestonia.info
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manfred Fluch & Helmut Stix, 2005. "Perceived Inflation in Austria – Extent, Explanations, Effects," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 22–47.
- Marco G. Ercolani & Jayasri Dutta, 2006. "The Euro-changeoverand Euro-inflation: Evidence from Eurostat's HICP," Discussion Papers 06-03, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Kooreman, Peter & Faber, Riemer & Hofmans, Heleen, 2004.
"Charity Donations and the Euro Introduction: Some Quasi-Experimental Evidence on Money Illusion,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1318, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kooreman, Peter & Faber, Riemer P & Hofmans, Heleen M J, 2004. "Charity Donations and the Euro Introduction: Some Quasi-Experimental Evidence on Money Illusion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 1121-24, December.
- Ehrmann, Michael, 2006. "Rational inattention, inflation developments and perceptions after the euro cash changeover," Working Paper Series 0588, European Central Bank.
- Patrick Lünnemann & Thomas Y. Mathä, 2010.
"Rigidities and inflation persistence of services and regulated prices,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(2-3), pages 193-208.
- Lünnemann, Patrick & Mathä, Thomas Y., 2005. "Regulated and services’ prices and inflation persistence," Working Paper Series 0466, European Central Bank.
- Patrick Lünnemann & Thomas Y. Mathä, 2005. "Nominal rigidities and inflation persistence in Luxembourg: a comparison with EU 15 member countries with particular focus on services and regulated prices," BCL working papers 14, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Eugenio Gaiotti & Francesco Lippi, 2005.
"Pricing behavior and the introduction of the euro: evidence from a panel of restaurants,"
0501029, EconWPA, revised 15 Feb 2005.
- Gaiotti, Eugenio & Lippi, Francesco, 2005. "Pricing Behaviour and the Introduction of the Euro: Evidence from a Panel of Restaurants," CEPR Discussion Papers 4893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlos Coimbra & Daniel Santos & Rui Evangelista & Teresa Nascimento, 2002. "Analysis on the Impact of the Conversion of Escudos into Euros," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Eife, Thomas, 2006. "Currency Changeovers as Natural Experiments," Munich Dissertations in Economics 5839, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- C.K. Folkertsma & C. van Renselaar & A.C.J. Stokman, 2002. "Smooth Euro Changeover, Higher Prices? Results of a Survey Among Dutch Retailers," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 682, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni, 2004. "The Effects of the Euro-Conversion on Prices and Price Perceptions," Working Papers 101, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Giancarlo Marini & Fabrizio Adriani & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2003.
"The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide,"
CEIS Research Paper
27, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Giancarlo Marini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2004. "The Inflationary Consequences Of A Currency Changeover: Evidence From The Michelin Red Guide," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 45, Royal Economic Society.
- Angelini, Paolo & Lippi, Francesco, 2005.
"Did Inflation Really Soar After the Euro Cash Changeover? Indirect Evidence from ATM Withdrawals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4950, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paolo Angelini & Francesco Lippi, 2006. "Did inflation really soar after the euro cash changeover? Indirect evidence from ATM withdrawals," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 581, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Thomas A. Eife, 2008. "Do Menu Costs Make Prices Sticky?," Working Papers 0477, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eea:boewps:wp2006-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.