Speed of euro adoption
This paper estimates the speed and determinants of euro adoption across Italian provinces by exploiting the natural experiment in early 2002 when the euro and lira dually circulated as legal tender. A unique data set with daily observations on the net flows of euro banknotes from the branches of the Bank of Italy, province by province, is used. The diffusion of the euro differs across Italy, being faster in the Northern regions and slower in the Southern regions and in the Islands up to the beginning of February. The speed of euro adoption is influenced by the availability of transaction technology and by demographic characteristics, but it is not influenced by literacy and criminality levels.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duca, John V. & VanHoose, David D., 2004. "Recent developments in understanding the demand for money," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 247-272.
- Whitesell, William C, 1992. "Deposit Banks and the Market for Payment Media," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 483-98, November.
- Francesco Columba, 2003.
"Transaction Technology Innovation and Demand for Overnight Deposits in Italy,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
468, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Francesco Columba, 2004. "Transaction Technology Innovation and Demand for Overnight Deposits in Italy," Macroeconomics 0404011, EconWPA.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Porter, Richard D., 2004. "Currency demand by federal reserve cash office: what do we know?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 273-285.
- Lotz, Sebastien & Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2002. "On the Launching of a New Currency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 563-88, August.
- Roberta Zizza, 2002. "Metodologie di stima dellï¿½economia sommersa: unï¿½applicazione al caso italiano," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 463, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cannon, Edmund & Cipriani, Giam Pietro, 2006.
"Euro-Illusion: A Natural Experiment,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1391-1403, August.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-140874 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gaiotti, Eugenio & Lippi, Francesco, 2005.
"Pricing Behaviour and the Introduction of the Euro: Evidence from a Panel of Restaurants,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eugenio Gaiotti & Francesco Lippi, 2005. "Pricing behavior and the introduction of the euro: evidence from a panel of restaurants," Macroeconomics 0501029, EconWPA, revised 15 Feb 2005.
- Ten Raa, T. & Shestalova, V., 2004. "Empirical evidence on payment media costs and switch points," Other publications TiSEM a0277140-f50e-4a02-9448-3, School of Economics and Management.
- ten Raa, Thijs & Shestalova, Victoria, 2004. "Empirical evidence on payment media costs and switch points," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 203-213, January.
- Whitesell, William C, 1989. "The Demand for Currency versus Debitable Accounts: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 246-57, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed007:350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.