Japan's Orientation towards Foreign Investments: Inertia Effects and Driving Force of Institutional Changes
We use an institutional perspective to develop a framework for understanding the contexts, mechanisms and processes associated with institutions and institutional changes related to foreign investment in Japan. We examine power dynamics and relational boundaries between diverse actors and analyze why and how some components of institutions have changed and others have not. Also explored in this paper are the conflicting discourses that have been raised in regards to the participation of foreign investors. We also examine purposive efforts of various institutional entrepreneurs to change prevailing institutions in Japan. We assess structural factors working as sources of inertia in Japan's openness to FDI including the nature of capitalism, power of bureaucracy and culture and analyze various internal and external sources associated with exogenous shocks and gradual changes in institutions.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN|
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Daokui Li & Junxin Feng & Hongping Jiang, 2006. "Institutional Entrepreneurs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 358-362, May.
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 2003. "The hidden persuaders: institutions and individuals in economic theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 159-175, March.
- Satomi Kimino & David S. Saal & Nigel Driffield, 2007. "Macro Determinants of FDI Inflows to Japan: An Analysis of Source Country Characteristics," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 446-469, 03.
- Kshetri, Nir & Palvia, Prashant & Dai, Hua, 2011. "Chinese institutions and standardization: The case of government support to domestic third generation cellular standard," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 399-412, June.
- Dean, Thomas J. & Meyer, G. Dale, 1996. "Industry environments and new venture formations in U.S. manufacturing: A conceptual and empirical analysis of demand determinants," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 107-132, March.
- A. E. Fernández Jilberto, 1991. "Introduction," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(1), pages 3-9, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kob:dpaper:dp2012-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Office of Promoting Research Collaboration, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.