Estimating the effect of chemical safety standards on firm performance in Malaysia and Vietnam
This paper uses firm-level data to examine the impact of chemical safety regulations imposed by importing countries such as RoHS and REACH on the production costs and export performance of firms in Malaysia and Vietnam. We find that in addition to the initial setup costs for compliance, EU RoHS and REACH implementation causes firms to incur additional variable production costs by requiring additional labor and capital expenditures of around 12% of the variable costs, respectively. We also find that compliance with RoHS and REACH significantly increases the probability of export. Furthermore, we find that compliance with EU RoHS and REACH helps firms to penetrate into a greater variety of countries. Also, we find that multinational enterprises and firms participating in global value chains generally exhibit better export performance and their costs rise less steeply.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 455. 2014.3|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ide.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN|
Web: http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Publish/Order Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bo Xiong & John C. Beghin, 2013.
"Disentangling Demand-Enhancing and Trade-Cost Effects of Maximum Residue Regulations,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
13-wp544, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bo Xiong & John Beghin, 2014. "Disentangling Demand-Enhancing And Trade-Cost Effects Of Maximum Residue Regulations," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 52(3), pages 1190-1203, 07.
- Xiong, Bo & Beghin, John C., 2013. "Disentangling Demand-Enhancing and Trade-Cost Effects of Maximum Residue Regulations," Staff General Research Papers 34393, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bo Xiong & John C. Beghin, 2013. "Disentangling Demand-Enhancing and Trade-Cost Effects of Maximum Residue Regulations," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 13-wp544, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Lionel Gérard Fontagné & Gianluca Orefice & Roberta Piermartini & Nadia Rocha, 2013. "Product Standards and Margins of Trade: Firm Level Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 4169, CESifo Group Munich.
- Miet Maertens & Liesbeth Colen & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2011.
"Globalisation and poverty in Senegal: a worst case scenario?,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 31-54, March.
- Maertens, Miet & Colen, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Globalization and Poverty in Senegal: A Worst Case Scenario?," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51668, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Miet Maertens & Liesbeth Colen & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2008. "Globalization and Poverty in Senegal: A Worst Case Scenario?," LICOS Discussion Papers 21708, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Lionel Fontagné & Gianluca Orefice & Roberta Piermartini & Nadia Rocha, 2013.
"Product Standards and Margins of Trade: Firm Level Evidence,"
2013-06, CEPII research center.
- Fontagné, Lionel & Orefice, Gianluca & Piermartini, Roberta & Rocha, Nadia, 2013. "Product standards and margins of trade: Firm level evidence," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2013-04, .
- Chunlai Chen & Jun Yang & Christopher Findlay, 2008. "Measuring the Effect of Food Safety Standards on China’s Agricultural Exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 83-106, April.
- Catherine Ragasa & Suzanne Thornsbury & Satish Joshi, 2011. "Are Food Certification Costs Misestimated? Exporter‐Perspective on the European Standard," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 669-689, 09.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007.
"Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal,"
106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France
7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," LICOS Discussion Papers 17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Drogué, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2012.
"Pesticide residues and trade, the apple of discord?,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 641-649.
- Drogue, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2011. "Pesticides Residues and Trade: the Apple of Discord?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114445, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Honda, Keiichiro, 2012. "The effect of EU environmental regulation on international trade : restriction of hazardous substance as a trade barrier," IDE Discussion Papers 341, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Tien Manh Vu & Hiroyuki Yamada & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2014. "The rise and fall of multinational enterprises in Vietnam: survival analysis using census data during 2000-2011," OSIPP Discussion Paper 14E001, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Otsuki, Tsunehiro & S. Wilson, John, 2003. "Food Safety and Trade: Winners and Losers in a Non-Harmonized World," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 18, pages 266-287.
- Niven Winchester & Marie-Luise Rau & Christian Goetz & Bruno Larue & Tsunehiro Otsuki & Karl Shutes & Christine Wieck & Heloisa L. Burnquist & Maurício J. Pinto de Souza & Rosane Nunes de Faria, 2012. "The Impact of Regulatory Heterogeneity on Agri-food Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(8), pages 973-993, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jet:dpaper:dpaper455. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.